• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Anybody else bake with hot peppers?

Anybody else try baking sweet stuff with hot peppers? I was reading a thread started by FarmerJack, I think, and he made chocolate chip cookies with hot peppers. Sounded weird at first but it kinda made sense after I thought about the combo. I just baked a batch of choclate chip cookies and dark chocolate brownies. Both were store bought, el cheapo (Safeway pre-made cookie dough and Betty Crocker brownie mix) on sale ;) Had to make sure it didn't suck before making it from scratch!

Mixed a half of a dried ghost pepper pod (from Pepper Rich), finely minced (note to self: wear gloves when chopping super hot peppers), with each before baking. Baked normally. Everything turned out great! Sweet followed by a slow, mellow burn that ramped up. No intense, sharp heat in your mouth at all. Almost like taking a sip of good scotch. Brought both batches to work and most everyone liked 'em.

Sorry, no pics but the cookies look like regular choc chip cookies and the brownies look like regular brownies.

Anybody else have good experiences mixing sweet and hot in baked goods?

For cookies and such I like Pure Evil.

I don't want the flavor of the peppers in my cookies but I loooove the heat.

I don't eat that much sweets but, I'm a purist when it comes to cookies, especially Choc. Chip.

Bread is another story. I loooove J-7's in Sour Dough.

Yes, many have used chiles etc for baking. Justaguy makes a mean fatalii lemon and fatalii chocolate cheesecakes, geeme's made some chocolate cookies with douglahs, Someone sent me some snickerdoodle cookies with Pure Evil, we had brownies made with some of Scovie's homemeade chile powder and also some Pure Evil brownies at the NW Chilefest. A Chilehead noobie at the chilefest went back for 3rds of the Pure Evil Brownies....That was fun! Celeste made some lemon cookies with (something like a Lemon Drop chile?).

Last December, someone sent me some Pure Evil Snickerdoodle cookies in the mail. The 'Kid was with me in the car at the post office when I opened up the box. I said,"Oh, How nice! Someone sent me cookies". The 'Kid says "COOKIES!!!" and grabs one and starts eating it. After a couple chews, he gets this look on his face and says "Really? Pure Evil cookies? What is WRONG with you people?!?!???"

:rofl: True Story!

NICE! Tell Seth I'm using some Sethsquatch powder on our turkey. Just a little...can't burn the family too much (even though they should be used to it by now... :rolleyes: ) Happy turkey-day, PA!

Yes, I'm sure if you search various food threads, you'll find many recipes for hot sweet stuff. The cookies I make with Douglahs are bourbon nut chews, and I've also tried making them with peanut butter and bacon. Yes, it was very different, but still good! We make hot brownies frequently, and use the Ghiradelli dark chocolate mix most of the time - interesting note is that we make them using olive oil, which yields a better result (IOO) than "regular" cooking oils. Several of us candy hot peppers, too. If you look at the TD threads, you'll find a number of interesting hot sweets - the last anniversary month TD included a weekend of meatless burgers that yielded a number of hot sweet entries. I make a roasted pear dessert that I developed for a TD maybe a year or so ago - peel and core a pear, cover it with cinnamon, brown sugar, red pepper powder of your preference, allspice, etc., wrap it in bacon (pinned with whole cloves), and roast until the pear is done. In the meantime, make a fresh raspberry sauce and a hot chocolate sauce (yes, with hot pepper powder in it), and after the bacon-wrapped-pear comes out of the oven, drizzle it with the chocolate and raspberry sauces - SO GOOD! Hmmm.... think I'll make that for dessert at Christmas!

I like to make my Epic Brownies.

Here's the deal. Rehydrate dried chipotles and soak cherries in bourbon whiskey. In three days you have infused chipotles and cherries. Give them a rough chop and use as ingredients in your fudge brownie recipe, along with candied pecans (brown sugar and butter in saute pan, flambéed with infused bourbon) and mini marshmallows. Use the left over infused bourbon where the recipe calls for water. This shite is epic. Truss ma!

Back