• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

anybody else growing peyote?

you might want to reach out to member "DVG", i remember Doug starting a post on cactus and posted some pics, then others interested in the topic posted their pics.
you can do a forum search on cactus and it may bring back the post.

Pepperjack91 said:
I would love to grow them.. Where did you get the seeds?

Maybe I'm thinking of another THP member, but weren't you asking about a good unique plant to take to college a while ago? If so, I'm going to re-recommend T. bridgesii. It's a shame, I could've gotten you a cutting a few months ago when I pruned one. (I had to cut it back so it would stop tipping over, and I could never live with myself if I were to just toss it in the compost... So I callused it, rooted it and gave it to a friend.)
     I'll post pics of my Trichocereus collection later today. They've really been digging all the rain we've gotten lately. I can't believe how fast some of those species grow! Now if I could just convince them to put some of that energy into flowering...

edit:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46028-need-a-cool-little-houseplant/?hl=cactus#entry968802
Ha! I knew it! Memory like a steel trap!

Burning Colon said:
you might want to reach out to member "DVG", i remember Doug starting a post on cactus and posted some pics, then others interested in the topic posted their pics.
you can do a forum search on cactus and it may bring back the post.

thanks i will check it out
hey dash 2 nice cactus! i cant wait until mine gets that size, i have seen t bridgesii flower and it is a beautiful looking flower, ive only seen pictures though, i also like the purple-ish flowers on the other 3 cacti i have, thats the main reason i got them lol

miguelovic said:
That's because we're special. And not short bus special, more of the "Oh, that's interesting...." special :P

Oh yeah, there's a wicked store in Taranna that stocks pretty much everything a wierdo needs, Sacred Seed. I've heard from good to bad of the place, but the selection is crazy. I think the bad came from a former employee, the owner might be a douchecanoe but I still regret not making it over there.

Hahahahahha. Awesome.

dash 2 said:
Maybe I'm thinking of another THP member, but weren't you asking about a good unique plant to take to college a while ago? If so, I'm going to re-recommend T. bridgesii. It's a shame, I could've gotten you a cutting a few months ago when I pruned one. (I had to cut it back so it would stop tipping over, and I could never live with myself if I were to just toss it in the compost... So I callused it, rooted it and gave it to a friend.)
     I'll post pics of my Trichocereus collection later today. They've really been digging all the rain we've gotten lately. I can't believe how fast some of those species grow! Now if I could just convince them to put some of that energy into flowering...

edit:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46028-need-a-cool-little-houseplant/?hl=cactus#entry968802
Ha! I knew it! Memory like a steel trap!
Give me a shout if you ever need to prune it again

Might like a couple to add to my collection.
DSCN0116.jpg

Gotrox said:
A bunch of those in the plot have to come inside for the winter.

We don't stumble around in the dark in the house after the first freeze.

:rofl: i wouldnt want to stumble around in the dark either, especially with those cacti in the house

Mostly various types of prickly pears (nopales,opuntias), numerous types of cholla's, and small barrels. The "grassy area" is actually a small pair of ponds.
In pots are non-freezeable---Like the "Old Man of the Andes" and a couple saguaros, a "False saguero" and some I still don't know the name of.
A few other types, like spanish daggers, succulents, ephedra, and of course, the Joshua trees.
The wife's garden mostly----so a load of strawberry hedgehogs for jelly.
Most will live where it doesn't get to -20F for long, and they don't like a lot of water. We have dry climate plants that can freeze a bit, not wet climate plants from coastal areas that are used to seasonal monsoons, but can't freeze.
Some, like the joshua tree, will live here, but doesn't propegate, as the moth it needs for pollination doesn't venture very far into the freeze zone of an area.

They grow very slooooowly anyway.

Started some joshua's from seed, and still looked like a blade of grass 4 years later.

We get a permit to harvest them, and transplant.

Same with the original rarer types of barrels and cholla's, though she does start a few from their seeds every year.

-20f where you are in the winter? need to go further south lol. i know id like to, the coldest it got here in ontario canada this winter was -40c/-40f and it stayed there for a week or so, this winter was bad, usually its -20 c / -4f.  i cant wait to have all my cactus full grown, id love to get more but i am limited for space in the house right now. but you and your wife have an awesome cactus garden.

drugs are bad mmmmm'kaaaay lol i have actually never dont peyote or even had the urge to, these are just for show, not consumption. i like the way they look and they re kid and pet friendly (they have no spikes) i dont have either but i like the look of the peyote button. i have a few others as well. id like to get a whole variety of cacti for my house, eventually.

Rarely -20, and not for long.

Though only 250 miles from Vegas, I am at altitude--5200'---and between 2 mountain ranges with peaks above 12000'.

A refrigerator in the winter, usually cold blasts only last a week, though it can stay below freezing at night for over a month straight, and drops there erratically till end of may.

Final frost last year was June 1st, and in March last year it was in the 70's during the days and 30's at night.

Long enough for the fruit trees to flower----before it went back to freezing and killed the buds off.

Gotrox said:
Rarely -20, and not for long.

Though only 250 miles from Vegas, I am at altitude--5200'---and between 2 mountain ranges with peaks above 12000'.

A refrigerator in the winter, usually cold blasts only last a week, though it can stay below freezing at night for over a month straight, and drops there erratically till end of may.

Final frost last year was June 1st, and in March last year it was in the 70's during the days and 30's at night.

Long enough for the fruit trees to flower----before it went back to freezing and killed the buds off.
and here i thought our weather was erratic, and last frost took forever it seemed, in early may here it was up to 89 for a few days, then back down to 30. for the past two weeks its been in the 80 to 90 range, but it went down to 40 last night and is around 60 right now. this past winter was bad for everyone and it doesnt seem to want to go away yet. all though the rain for the past 4 days has not helped, over 22 inches of rain and the temp went right down. i need to move to the southern part of Florida or Texas lol 

OK, I finally got around to taking some pics of my (hopefully soon to be flowering) babies.

First up is T. macrogunus. Sorry about the blurry shot, I was in a hurry and did't realize it until I uploaded it just now. The old growth  is the bluish flesh on the outer rim, the bright green growth on the inside is from this year. 
IMG_0064_zpse3b25406.jpg

These are three T. bridgesii (E. lageniformis) plants all in the same planter. It's really easy to see this year's growth on these guys. You also might be able to see the two pups that just sprouted a week or two ago.
IMG_0065_zps229666f7.jpg

Last is my other macrogonus plant. These things are getting pretty massive, but I don't want to prune them until they flower. 
IMG_0080_zpsedfcfad8.jpg

Back