• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anybody try anything new this year?

I have only been into growing hot peppers for about four years so every year most of my crop contains something new. I enjoy a range of peppers from mild to hot. My favorites from this year that I will be growing again are:

Bhut Jolokia – I grew the “Giant Bhut Jolokia” from Pepper Joe. These seeds came from the UNM. Loved their flavor but can’t eat them straight up like Neil. I can only eat about half a pepper with a meal. Even though I can’t handle their heat, I absolutely loved their flavor and will continue to grow them.

Biker Billy Jalapeño – This is the first year I grew any Jalapenos so I can’t compare to other varieties. Way better than anything I have ever bought in a grocery store and very hot for a jalapeno. Gave several to friends and they were also surprised by their heat.

Aji Red – Seeds from Tomato Growers Supply Company. Not sure what species they are (bacccatum?). Thought the flavor was great and used them a lot in salsa. A little bit of heat but not crazy, my family could handle a few in the salsa. I think they have a great potential as a base in hot sauce.

Ring Of Fire – An annuum, cayenne type. I love cayennes and though they had decent heat for their type. Easily eaten straight up yet has enough heat to detect.

A few that didn’t do anything for me were Charleston Hot peppers and Tabasco.

How about you guys and gals that have been doing this for years? Do you always grow the same thing every year or are you still experimenting? If you tried anything new, what was it and how did you like it?

This is my third year growing, the first year I did something other than "put seeds in ground and wait to harvest", and most of my stuff is new to me.
Between seeds from friends here and chileplants.com stuff, about the only thing not new this year were my orange habs and my jalapenos.

I'm trying to stop experimenting so much and focus on what produces well for me and what I can sell or give away. There's a few new sweet-mild varieties that I have to try out but I'm really hoping to fight the usual temptation of growing every C. chinense possible:)

Actually no. all peppers grown this year are from last year's seeds. I only asked one person for one type of seeds I wanted to add to the mix, and that didn't work well. I am trying new plants in general, including some new tomatoes. no wild species though, only top flavor domesticated ones.

This is my first year growing and here is a list of all the varieties I'm trying.

Bhut Jolokia
Naga Morich
Exploding Ember
Fatali
Red Scotch Bonnet
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Caribbean Red
Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Yellow Habanero
Red Habanero
White Habanero
Yellow 7 Pot
Congo Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion
Morouga Red
Jalapeno
Anaheim
Green Pepper
Red Savina
Holy Moly

I am growing the Foodarama Scotch Bonnets this year and am impressed with the size and shape of these pods.

NOT impressed at all with the Chocolate Fataliis, just a waste of soil, time and space IMO. Bell pepper taste and no heat at all and not even that pretty of a pod.

Mariachi hybrids (thanks Pepperfreak)...great low heat pepper with a good taste and great for stuffing.

Congo Trinidads - produce a lot of habanero heat level big pods.

Bih Jolokias (thanks Hippy) - massive production of superhot pods.

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Thanks Chris I think) - good sized pimply pods - haven't tasted them yet but I understand they are killer

Inferno Hot Banana - 6-8" pods that are pretty dang hot for a banana pepper

Ancho San Luis - They are OK, thats all I can say.

Passows Piqrano (thanks Iggy) - best new pepper of the year for me - they will be in my grow inventory from now on.

Super Datil (from ebay private seller) - if these are Datils (which they aren't) they are huge - look more like a Fatalii to me.

Jalapeno Heaven, Gigante - OK for Jalapenos but I will stick with the Billy Bikers (new to me this year too) from now on. Good heat and good sized pods.

Golden Greek Pepperoncinis - I will grow them again next year but this year was a total bust for me.

Bulgarian Carrot - good looking pods that turn orange when ripe - a yes for next year too.

This was my first year. I wanted to grow things I couldn't get at the market here. So I grew C. chinense only. I can get habaneros here but they are those small orange debe debe ones.

So this year I was a kid inna candy store !! I tried a little bit of everything to see how they tasted. It was fun and a learning experience for sure. This year I grew ....

Antillais
Congo Yellow
Datil Sweet
Fatalii
Gamba
Grenada Hot
Grenada Seasoning
Habanero Golden
Harold's St Bart
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Tabago Seasoning
Trinidad Seasoning
Trinidad Scorpion
Limon

Most of these won't be in my garden next season. They just didn't have the flavor and aroma I wanted. I've decided to try and get a few strains to work good for me. I cook all types of cuisines but really love Caribbean dishes.

Next year I'll grow more types of Scotch Bonnets to find what I like the best.
Trinidad Congo Yellows
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Habanero Golden
Harold's St Bart
Fatalii Yellow
Grenada Seasoning
Limon ...... in hopes the pods will be bigger. Love the taste but the pods were tiny

What I'll try new is
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia ....... maybe

Peace & a good season next year to all ,
P. Dreadie

Almost everything I will be growing next year will be new for me.

Aside from Jalapenos, Bells, Black Congos, Fataliis, Aji Dulce Yellow and Manzanos, all these will be new to me;

Yellow Devil's Tongue
Datil
Goat's Weed
Aldaberto Hab
Yellow 7 (two sources)
Barrackapore 7
Bhut Jolokia
Aribibi Gusano
Cappy 7
Naga Morich
Tabasco
Numex Big Jim

2010 will be my 1st year for Superhots.

I have cuurently sprouted:

Bhut Jolokia (2"-4") and new sprouts
Naga Morich (1"-2")
Yellow 7 Pot
Scorpion BT
Yellow Scorpion

Waiting on most of the above to brake the surface, plus waiting on the 1st set of Cappy's 7 Pot Brain Strain to pop out.

I plan to get these started and healty, and then begin some new sets Dec/Jan. The summers here can be brutal, and heat during Spring can sometimes come out of nowhere for a few days, so I decided to try staggering my plant development so I will always have something budding, flowering, and podding at the right time.

I'm crossing my fingers I don't kill most of them. Chinense are nothing like sowing & growing Tomatoes or Annuums :shocked:

Hopefully my mistakes over the last couple years combined with what I've learned in this forum will bring much success.

Im doing the same here SanSoo. I currently have my mystery yellow Chinense plants and green peppers setting fruit. And have about 30 other small plants of some other varieties 4" - 6". And the seeds I recently got from hippyseedcompany.com are germinating and should be up within the next week I hope. It has continued to remain in the 90's here during the day which is a bit unusuall for October because it usually starts to cool down. Hardening off these plants with such intense sun and heat has been a real pain. Had to put my little ones back under the lights today because the pots were alsmot hot enough to burn when touching them. Anyway I welcome my winter season and temps in the 70 - 80 range during the day.

This is my first grow year for Chilies. Also not growing in my home County. So I'm learning alot of new things. I'm always looking for new seeds to try, so PM me If you want too send some....

At the momment I have.
3 Aji amarillo
1 Red rocoto
6 Orange habanero
6 Red bell pepper
5 Yellow bell pepper
4 Orange bell pepper
3 Prik key nuu suan
3 Prik ga reing
3 prik si dang
2 Black ?
4 Jalapeno X ?