• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anybody useing this?

in California, which produces nearly 60 percent of the U.S. harvest of organic fruits, nuts and vegetables.

I always thought California had at least 60 percent of the fruits and nuts people in the US!

I would be really upset, though, if I thought I was buying organic food or products to grow stuff organically and found out it isn't. I wonder how this will trickle down to growers who have been certified as organic growers, since if they used the products they obviously aren't.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I always thought California had at least 60 percent of the fruits and nuts people in the US!
Having lived their for over 5 years I am very proud to have contributed to that over all percent of nuts.

thepodpiper said:

"Port Organic is the latest in a series of fertilizer makers to be accused of passing off chemical fertilizers as organic."

Well, that's discouraging.

According to the article, enforcement is by state agencies, so now I'm wondering who enforces federal standards to organic products that are shipped to other states? For example, if a small company stated producing an organic fertilizer "Funny Fish Heads made from free range fishheads" for use in home gardens, and shipped it to distributors in other states, who would be checking up to see if they were using genuine free range fish heads in their products?

These folks were caught because they were producing adulterated products in California for sale to California organic growers.

what I caught in the story was they fined the company 18K in 2005 and 2007 for storing the ammonia improperly....someone should have asked the question...why does an organic fertilize company have this stuff stored there?...

AlabamaJack said:
what I caught in the story was they fined the company 18K in 2005 and 2007 for storing the ammonia improperly....someone should have asked the question...why does an organic fertilize company have this stuff stored there?...

Bureaucracy and lack of communication.

One agency is in charge of making sure it is safely stored, and another is in charge of making sure organic products are organic.

Back