smokers Anyone built their own smoker?

2eex11w.jpg

top of da line smoker(perfect for cold smoking) :beer:

I saw these all over a KCBS Q event I went to this Spring. Point away, maybe I'll give it a go...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/199/uds-builds

More info than you can ever use. I didn't spend money on expanded metal to make the basket. I used 3 of those fish baskets for grilling and bent them and wired them together. I can get around 12 hours of slow and low out of a good sized basket full of lump.

There are some more pictures of it here I drilled some 10 mm holes in bottem of the top draw so ample smoke can circulate. Use a new soldering iron they are cheap, lead in your diet would be bad.

my dad told me that he had a friend that used old school lockers and another used an old refrigerator

thanks your friend Joe

Thank you Lando! My smoker is on the way! If I put a lot of wood chips, can it become a ''hot smoker'' ?

If you are going to hot smoke it's important that your box isn't going to melt or any coating/ paint on your box might contaminate what your smoking. So depending on what you used for a box you might be able to, for hot smoking I would use my Webber.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/101226/soldering-iron-and-cold-smoking

and a vid that might interest you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc

I used a blow torch to burn off any coating on the tin can(tin cans are coated with plastic so they won't rust)

Yep, thank you. I've aleready watched this video.. Very useful. Nah, I will use the same materials as you.. I should be fine. Thanks for your help. Can't wait for payday for a soldering iron lol!

Yep, thank you. I've aleready watched this video.. Very useful. Nah, I will use the same materials as you.. I should be fine. Thanks for your help. Can't wait for payday for a soldering iron lol!

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, check for a soldering iron there. I just picked one up yesterday for less than $4!

That kid in the tree is going to be a BBQ champion. He'll be like, "I remember being in the park, all my friends are playing kickball, throwing frisbee's or whatever and I would just sit in that tree and watch the magic happen on those BBQ's"

yeah that's his dad doing the cooking, so he'll be a bbq champ for sure...

Gman, your' buddy's bbq trailer is all kinds of awesome looking!

Looks like converted LP tanks.
yep,

yeah I think they are LP. There are safe ways to void the gas and replace it with something non-explosive.

Well i have built many smokers over the past 30 years
I have made up smoke generators so i can do cold smoke like cheese or bacon
I have a web site for you to check out http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/
I dont have his But I have been using one I built for about 8 years it works awesome and is priced well at
his site look at the videos i will tell you it works great with any gas grill, file cabinet , old cooler thats rite the drain hole at the bottem
just shoot the smoke in there walla smoked anything
it is a simple Gaget a metal tube ,cover ,bottem ,air pump from a fish tank I think he gets about $100.00
Good luck any Questions let me Know

photobucket-27471-1346785959903.jpg

photobucket-29702-1346785980504.jpg

photobucket-1200-1346786023152.jpg

I built this one about 3 years ago. Only down fall this thing weighs about 600lbs. I have a trailer for it but need to buy new tires. old metal drums from a farmer, angle iron and a weight ball cut down for the handle. The smoking rack is made out of old hvy duty hog fencing.(also weighs a ton) smoke stack needs to be much bigger though, ran out of mig wire so smaller one is still on there. I've smoked 4 whole turkeys, and 4 sholders at the same time before. smoking rack is 27in wide,38 in long ,which gives 1026 sq in of space.

bomb proof bbq :) you have metal working skillz. The upside on the 600 pounds weight is that no one will be tempted to nick it ;)

I took two barrel smokers, stacked them one on top of the other (fastened in the middle). It will fit at least four racks of ribs and three pork butts with a water pan. One fire in the bottom means less hardwood and the virtical shape means it takes up less space.

Back