• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone?? Can you name this Chili??

You live in a area where there are good moderate temps so should go on all year and have a few good harvests from it :whistle:

I would like to grow a tree like that. But my area has real winters and it won't survive. Maybe it would be something for my wintergarden.

Are there Tepin plants of that size too?

Youll be fine, just leave it there and keep eating the fruit. They don't need a dormacy period and it should servive the SoCal winters. I know mine did.

Totally not fair! I love pequins! The one I have freezes back to the ground but come back again each year. I treat my pequin like a rose bush, and trim it to a few inches high in the winter, and am rewarded with tons of fresh green growth that comes back larger than ever.

Think you could humor us with some current pics? Or how bout a pic of it with a person standing next to it for size reference? That thing is awe inspiring, especially the last pic w/ the sea of peppers.

Hi Cahlua,

I'm a relative newbie around here and I just love that tree! I would really enjoy having something like that in my yard but alas the winters here will not allow it. Thank you for sharing it with us.;)

my 5-6 year od Habanero Arbol plant.
You can see in some of the pics where I had to trim it down about 3 ft. last fall.

IM003418.jpg

IM003419.jpg

IM003435.jpg

IM003461.jpg

That indeed is one beautiful..plant sorry tree,Cracking chili as well,id look forward to the harvest from that whopper :)

Pods from the Habanero Arbol.

IM003506.jpg

IM003594.jpg

IM003613.jpg

A couple month old babies

IM003622.jpg

Big yellow referes to the big yellow Manzano the seeds came from,someone wanted to see some pods off the tree and asked if I saved the seeds from the big yellow.So I took a pic....

The tree fruits 3-4 times a year.It likes cold weather,drops leaves in over 90 degree heat but keeps the pods growing.Pods are light green to yellow (with purple or totally purple with lots of sun) then orange when ripe.
Fruits in spring,early fall and around mid Dec.I get different amounts of pods each season it fruits.Best harvest in spring and winter (3-5 gal.)fall only puts out 2-3 gal. of pods because it's still too hot when it flowered in late Aug. early Sept.Pods are pretty hot.Seeds came from Mexico.
It looks to be an Annuum but it's growing habits make me think it has some Baccatum in it.
It's not been fazed by a couple nights to a week of mid 30 degree temps at night in the winter.

smokemaster said:
P

Big yellow referes to the big yellow Manzano the seeds came from,someone wanted to see some pods off the tree and asked if I saved the seeds from the big yellow.So I took a pic....

The tree fruits 3-4 times a year.It likes cold weather,drops leaves in over 90 degree heat but keeps the pods growing.Pods are light green to yellow (with purple or totally purple with lots of sun) then orange when ripe.
Fruits in spring,early fall and around mid Dec.I get different amounts of pods each season it fruits.Best harvest in spring and winter (3-5 gal.)fall only puts out 2-3 gal. of pods because it's still too hot when it flowered in late Aug. early Sept.Pods are pretty hot.Seeds came from Mexico.
It looks to be an Annuum but it's growing habits make me think it has some Baccatum in it.
It's not been fazed by a couple nights to a week of mid 30 degree temps at night in the winter.

The black seeds might indicate C. pubescens. The Rocotos and Manzanos are pubescens varieties.

I know the seeds were from this yellow Manzano.

IM003592.jpg

The seeds were only in the picture because when I took the picture someone wanted to know if I saved the seeds from a yellow Manzano I had.
They have nothing to do with the Tree Habanero pods.Sorry for the confusion.

A couple yellow Manzano plants.

IM003595.jpg

IM003658.jpg

A red Rocoto from a Peru Market.

IM003465.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.
I've been lurking here for a long time.I just decided to sign up the other day.

That Red Rocoto pic was from last March.
My plants have buds on them now.If I get some decent pods I'll post them latter.On the bush cut open etc.
That pic was taken when I got the pod.It was smuggled in with others for me by a friend.It was really hot even for a Rocoto.From a market in Peru.

IM003467.jpg

IM003466.jpg

UPDATE ON MY PEQUIN PLANT(TREE)

HELLO ALL, HOPE YOU ALL HAVE HAD A GREAT YEAR SO FAR. I WANTED TO UPDATE YOU ON THE PEQUIN IN MY YARD. I CUT IT BACK TO ABOUT 4 FEET TALL IN JANUARY. NOW IT IS ABOUT 8 FEET TALL AND FULL OF PEPPERS AGAIN. I WAS AFRAID I WAS GOING TO KILL IT WHEN I CHOPPED IT BACK BUT IT GREW BACK STARTING THE VERY NEXT WEEK I CLIPPED IT. I STILL HAVENT TRIED ONE MYSELF, BUT THE PEOPLE I GIVE THEM TO LOVE THEM AND ALWAYS WANT MORE. I DON'T LIKE HOT THINGS.

Back