• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone doing DWC outdoors? How do you insulate the electric?

I'd like to dwc some lettuce this year but I want to run it outdoors.  My deck is a great place for something like this thats almost self-watering and lettuces grow really fast.  A friend of mine had an experimental setup last year and he had used a 5g bucket over top of the pump and power plugs sitting on top of a brick to keep the water out of the hardware.  Unfortunately, I dont have a greenhouse or shed with its own dedicated electric shielded from the elements.  I was wondering if anyone had a safe solution and what to look out for.  I have outdoor outlets on GFCI breakers.  I'm actually considering adding one to my spa breaker to run to another side of the yard.  Is it ok to run an aquarium pump like that outdoors constantly?  Who runs their dwc/aero/ebb-flow outside on the deck here?

MHz

DWC for lettuce?

I dont know the answer but I plan on some DWC peppers this year, so I am going to have to come up with something too.

I'm planning to put the peppers in the ground.  I'm not sure if I'll dwc the peppers, but lettuce can be harvested pretty regularly and wont require too much for nutes.  I want something that is ready fast.  I know that peppers will grow like mad in that too.  I may do a couple of my ghosts and tomatoes though the majority will be in the ground.  

and in the ground, I have a fenced in 40x50 garden I've been building my soil base for.  I have lots of space for lots of stuff, but its not all peppers.

Back