• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Anyone else using a greenhouse? UK

Hey Greenhouse people!

How's it going for you? I have three Cayenne chilli plants in a greenhouse and two outside. I live in the UK and was wondering if anyone had any advice for aiding growth for either the greenhouse plants or the outdoors plants. I would love for them to grow and produce plenty of fruit but as a first timer, I have no idea if I'm doing it right!
Please let me know if you have any tips or advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!!

QueenAnkh

Hey QueenAnkh

I'm growing plants both in the greenhouse and outside it in Yorkshire. The ones I put in the ground outside suffered due to low temps and are only just picking up now that things are getting warmer. I'm not hopeful for many pods from these.

In the greenhouse I had a mix of plants in the ground and some in pots. The ones in pots took off really fast but due to a lack of space were all moved outside except for one. Pics are below

13/05/2011 = Chilli's getting too big for the house
IMAG0250.jpg

30/05/2011 = Greenhouse planted out (tomatoes down the left side, 2 cucumbers at the back, chilli's down the right), viewed from the right
IMAG0257.jpg

14/06/2011 = The greenhouse plants settle in and start to grow.
In the ground there are 3 x Bih Jolokia on the left, 3 x 7 Pot Jonah centre left, 3 x Naga Morich centre right, 3 Scorpion Morouga on the right. In the pots there are 1 x Devils Tongue, 1 x Bhut Jolokia, 1 x 7 Pot Jonah, 1 x Orange Habanero, 1 x Trinidad Scorpion, 1 x Scorpion Morouga, & 1 x Naga Morich.
IMAG0274.jpg

21/06/2011 = Big leaves developing on the 7 Pot in the pot
IMAG0279.jpg

Ground plants still a little slow
IMAG0281.jpg

27/06/2011 = The plants leave the greenhouse for the house (to get by some of the cooler nights)

15/07/2011 = The plants outside sheltered from the wind, growth slows relative to greenhouse plants
IMAG0306.jpg

24/07/2011 = Greenhouse really ramping up, flowers not far off
IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

01/08/2011 = Greenhouse plants flowering
IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

The outdoor pots started in the greenhouse have also done really well as weather has been reasonable. They are flowering and have some small pods forming. Not got any current pics though.
Haven't shown any pics of the ones left outside the whole time as they aren't much bigger than the others when they first went into the greenhouse.
I use rain or fish tank water, depending when the fish need doing and whats in the rain tank. I mix in chilli focus and another fert made by the same people called forumlex. I mix in epsom salts and some hyroponic calcium now and again. Also mist with these once every 1 or 2 weeks.
I tend to water once every 2 to 3 days depending when I am around and how the weather has been. I personally don't buy into the wait until it wilts idea.

Apologies for the big post. I've intended to make a proper log for a while but been too busy. Hope it helps.

The Howster

Hey Greenhouse people!

How's it going for you? I have three Cayenne chilli plants in a greenhouse and two outside. I live in the UK and was wondering if anyone had any advice for aiding growth for either the greenhouse plants or the outdoors plants. I would love for them to grow and produce plenty of fruit but as a first timer, I have no idea if I'm doing it right!
Please let me know if you have any tips or advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!!

QueenAnkh

You can protect the plants outside with a plastic bag with a few holes

When the sunlight ceases to be at least 14 hours I think you'll need to get some light on them. Otherwise I'd just fertilize them like ordinary container plants.

The temps never get above 40C. Usually 35C on a really hot sunny day but 25-30 peaks most days. When the temps start to pick up the window in the roof has an automatic valve which opens it slightly, plus we open the door a bit.

The plants are around 6 inches taller now and hanging over the pavers in the middle.

Back