• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Anyone ever use grow bags?

im seeing these "grow bags" their made of poly, and are white on the outside, and black on he inside. come prepunched for drainage holes, and are literally half the cost as 5 gallon nursery pots. but are they twice the headache?

do they stand well on there own?

and i live where winds and storms are usually common thing. so maybe 4 little stakes around each grow bag to hold the up in case of a storm?

any suggestions or reviews are appreciated.

I haven't personally used them, but have heard both pros and cons on this site to using them. Personally, I'm choosing to not use them due to the potential difficulty to move plants around once they're potted up in larger sizes. I've heard that moving a grow bag with five gallons of soil in it is quite difficult to do, and often results in tears. I want the flexibility to move plants around as frequently as necessary without hassle.

BTW, love the quote in your signature. Seems very apropos nowadays!

I think pots will definitely outlast the bags so economically speaking, go with pots. Pots are also more stable and as already said, easier to move

I've used them and they were great. I didn't have any problem with tears or moving the 5 gals. I tried putting a 5 gallon bag inside a 5 gallon bucket (w/ holes) and it seems like a winning combo. I'm trying 7 gallon bags w/o a bucket this year and I'm sure I'll be happy.

A guy uses them to grow Bhuts in on Fiji. This is what he wrote: bhut jolokias in coir filled bags

bags.jpg

Mike

I have used them up to 5 gal bags. The smaller ones work great up to the 3 gal size but I will never use the 5 gal bags again. The slightest bit of wind and my larger plants in 5 gal bags would fall over. I didn't have this problem with the ones in 5 gal pots

I'm using them this year mainly because they are very cheap, especially when brought in bulk. I have never had any problems with them getting blown over or anything, but as a few people have mentioned they can be difficult to move!

I used about 25 of them last year and really no complaints. One thing I didn't like was when you move them the soil would shift but that ended after the plants got some size. I'm thinking the root growth helped to stabilize thing. I used the three gallon buckets. If you fill them all the way to the top they're a pain in the butt to pick up and move. I'll probably use a few of them again this year. I suppose if you were real careful with them they could last a few years.

Good luck with them Cody.

Back