• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

seeds Anyone ever use lizard heating mats to start seeds?

They look pretty similar and a lot cheaper. I was wondering if anyone had tried and if so what their experiences and recommendations are.

Yeah I have, and they work just fine :) in fact I just started germing some bhut seeds for my indoor grow.

If you want to splash a bit more cash I guess you could buy one of the lizard thermostats as well...and just tape the sensor to the heat mat.
I guess its a bit much just for starting seeds!

As for recommendations, I just bought the cheapest one of reasonable size from ebay.

Hope this is what you were after :)

Matty

Yep pretty much anything that can provide enough heat to get the soil temp in the right Zone and keep it there will work fine -- I use an old electric blanket in the bottom of a sterlite container (has to be an old model as newer ones have those stupid auto shut offs that turn the thing off after a few hours !!)

Another thing i've done is stick the seeds in wet paper towel in a plastic tub and left it on top of the wireless router! Worked just fine.

^ Be aware that most consumer grade routers use budget grade capacitors and are known to suffer premature death from capacitor venting if ran hot. Just about every router Ive ever had fail died from this.

Sticking them on top of the fridge in the back can also work pretty well.

The thing to be careful about with the lizard heat mats is that not all of them have a temperature control, so it may take some moving seeds around in the tank or propping them up to get the right temperature. I fried one batch of seeds on accident.

Instead of supplemental heat, I just made my grow enclosure with side walls that hold in the heat from the lights. By making the front panel moveable and having a thermometer inside I can see how much of an open gap there needs to be to keep the temperature where I want it. Granted, with the lights on a timer so they shut off at night, there's an 8 hour period per day that they drop below optimal temperature but I presume that only adds a few days to time to sprout. I could just leave the lights on 24/7 till they were sprouting but I like to find ways to passively reduce the effort... set it up and forget it, or something.

the lizard ones are almost the same except they are sold for lizards and other reptiles they will work identical to the seed starting ones

I used a reptile egg incubator (hovabator) to germinate seeds. They're also used for chicken eggs, can be found online or at any farm supply store. They have a nice thermostat built in.

Back