• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ANYONE GROW BADBRAINS THIS YEAR ?

Curious as to if anyone out there grew out any bad brains this year ? i believe joe mamas ?  i was thinking about growing a couple . Heat / flavor / aroma  ?  and if so anyone have a pic. ?       :onfire:

hows their heat and flavor ?
i have only had 1 small red pod and it was fine, heat was blistering but remember, i really don't have the best growing conditions, i don't think that pod was even close to a million shu. the pod was so small it didn't have seeds. the chinense aroma wasn't as  strong and i had to get very close to get the aroma. the pod was more bitter than sweet in comparison to other 7 pot varieties. again first pod, small, no seeds. the heat attacked the back of the throat immediately.

looking at 1 pod right now, about the size of a lime, it is still in mid colour change, more green in the folds and red on the shoulders, i would give it another 5 days to ripen, then i can respond more intelligently on your post. i like to let them fully ripen so i can get some sweetness. sorry no video, i leave that to the qualified idiots or whatever they call themselves. have a few more plants in the greenhouse. i think this pod will give me a more realistic view of how 7 pot, brainstrain should smell, taste and heat factor - it has the traditional pimple look.

if i remember i will try to upload a pic.

when i purchased pepplover seed, i was torn between brains and primos so i did both. yellow primos haven't produced as well as i thought they would, i have judy's original yellow 7 pots and they produce for me every season. red primos look evil, had a red pod yesterday and it had sweetness until the heat took over. the primo heat attacked the roof of my mouth and tongue, didn't really give me that lump of burning coal in the back of the throat feeling but the wasn't the nastiest looking..... those ones are still ripening on the plants.

Burning Colon said:
got my seed from pepperlover and they look good both red and yellow.

I didn't know Pepper Lover was selling these... I don't see them listed on her site. I also have not seen a red version yet.

The pods I got from Wes (joemamma) last year were bright yellow, bhut/fatalii shaped, very hot, and very flavorful. If I understand correctly, Bad Brains are a yellow brain strain x unknown cross, possibly a bhut.

These are one of my favorite yellow super hots... a must grow if you enjoy yellow supers! The dominant flavor has some yellow brain strain characteristics, and what ever it was crossed with adds a little something. I'm not sure how to better describe it.

Burning Colon said:
i have only had 1 small red pod and it was fine, heat was blistering but remember, i really don't have the best growing conditions, i don't think that pod was even close to a million shu. the pod was so small it didn't have seeds. the chinense aroma wasn't as  strong and i had to get very close to get the aroma. the pod was more bitter than sweet in comparison to other 7 pot varieties. again first pod, small, no seeds. the heat attacked the back of the throat immediately.

looking at 1 pod right now, about the size of a lime, it is still in mid colour change, more green in the folds and red on the shoulders, i would give it another 5 days to ripen, then i can respond more intelligently on your post. i like to let them fully ripen so i can get some sweetness. sorry no video, i leave that to the qualified idiots or whatever they call themselves. have a few more plants in the greenhouse. i think this pod will give me a more realistic view of how 7 pot, brainstrain should smell, taste and heat factor - it has the traditional pimple look.

if i remember i will try to upload a pic.

when i purchased pepplover seed, i was torn between brains and primos so i did both. yellow primos haven't produced as well as i thought they would, i have judy's original yellow 7 pots and they produce for me every season. red primos look evil, had a red pod yesterday and it had sweetness until the heat took over. the primo heat attacked the roof of my mouth and tongue, didn't really give me that lump of burning coal in the back of the throat feeling but the wasn't the nastiest looking..... those ones are still ripening on the plants.
i love the primo also ! especially the red !     :onfire:

I grew them this year from pods I got from Wes, and ended up with three well producing plants. I love these and will grow them again. They have great heat and a flavor much like a bhut. The bright yellow color is nice too. The plants are still hanging in there despite the cold and rain lately and I am hoping I can get the remaining pods off.

I used them to make hot sauce and powder mostly (and one very hot batch of chicken tacos that made my life hell the next morning).

Hopefully that photo works, they are at the top and the only yellow pods there. Before you guys say I picked some of these too early, I know! hehe. I am only home on weekends so I have to harvest when I can!

Top plate: Bad Brainz, Szedgi 80 paprika, Thai hot
Middle plate: Luetchauer Paprika, 7 Pot Brainstrain and long slim cayenne
Bottom plate: Aleppo, Thai Dragon,

Back