• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone growing Shishito Peppers that are healthy?

I find that the shishito doesn't need quite as much water as the other chinese i have growing around it. It doesn't seem to wilt quite as quickly, though, it is about half or less the side of everything else. She's getting 6-8hours of direct afternoon sunlight and I did notice that the new flowers are yellowing more, I think it's because i'm getting daytime temps in the high 80's now (90s today maybe). Strangely, the yellow flowers refuse to drop, i have to cut them off or wait til they're completely dry before they fall off on their own.
I agree with it not needing too much water. I've prune two and brought them inside. The one that I left outside seem to be doing ok now after not including it in my normal watering cycle. It's been a soild week (7days) without water and the daily temp is around 80+ F, but for some strange reason it's slowly coming back. Yeah I have a bunch of flowers too, a lot of them are yellowing but they linger around teasing you. Mine wilted bad when I first got them, but after they were harden off they stand up to the sun better then most my other peppers.

Just to add my experience. I'm in Santa Clarita (Valencia) which is about 40 miles north of Downtown L.A. Anyhow, I started my shishito peppers in my aero garden from seeds. I let them get to about 10 inches (6 weeks at most) then planted them into my garden. I grow Anaheim chilies and jalapeƱos as well as tomatoes and a couple different types of basil. I water on drip for one minute a day, five days a week and then once a week give each plant half a gallon of water with a teaspoon of granulated miracle grow. I give this same mixture to all my plants and have had great success for the past 5 years. Lots of flowers and about half a dozen peppers on each plant that will be ready for harvest this weekend. As the heat of summer increases, they should really start producing. Six hours of good sunlight. Our water is really hard and heavily chlorinated. So much chlorine that they advise us to use extra dechlor when using in our fish tanks.

Back