• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone growing this pepper?

This is my favorite pepper but I don't know what it is.
It is very hot, habanero hot but it does not have habanero taste.
The pods are pendant shape and gets about 3in long.
IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/peppermo/Name this pepper/

Hot Paper Lantern?

(I ate one of those a couple of years ago, back when I thougt Tabasco sauce was hot... Need I say more?)

Those are annuum fruits so neither Aji Limo nor Hot Paper Lantern they are. I guess it's kinda local Asian variety.

MrArboc said:
Hot Paper Lantern?

(I ate one of those a couple of years ago, back when I thought Tabasco sauce was hot... Need I say more?)

I grew Hot Paper Lantern last year good guess but that definitely had the Habanero taste. This pepper is hotter than the Hot Paper lantern it has a great flavor. The pods are very similar especially when dried.

Jah said:
Those are annuum fruits so neither Aji Limo nor Hot Paper Lantern they are. I guess it's kinda local Asian variety.

I'm thinking it could even be a cross, the person I got my first plant from brought it over from Mexico and told me that they grow them in the hills and they call them Habaneros they do not taste like Habaneros at all but are equal in heat to at least store bought Habaneros. I have grown them from seed and the peppers remained true to the original mother plant.

Seeds

Absolutely, I should have plenty of seeds from this years harvest.
That way I will send the freshest seeds, just PM me.

Questions on seeds. If you grow plants outside and several different types would that "cross" the types and if so would the seeds be affected? I noticed a lot of people trade seeds and I would like to do the same, but not sure if I can or not because most of them are in the dirt. I will keep a few under lights for the winter though.

LGHT said:
Questions on seeds. If you grow plants outside and several different types would that "cross" the types and if so would the seeds be affected? I noticed a lot of people trade seeds and I would like to do the same, but not sure if I can or not because most of them are in the dirt. I will keep a few under lights for the winter though.

Yeah, they might cross depending of how the wind blows and the insects fly. You need to isolate the flowers if you want to know what the seeds will turn out.

MrArboc said:
Yeah, they might cross depending of how the wind blows and the insects fly. You need to isolate the flowers if you want to know what the seeds will turn out.

What if you took the entire plant and bucket indoors right when it's about to flower and grew it indoors only next to a few other plants of different variety? Would it still be a problem especially if I had a fan lightly blowing on the leaves to bring in fresh air?

MrArboc said:

LGHT said:
What if you took the entire plant and bucket indoors right when it's about to flower and grew it indoors only next to a few other plants of different variety? Would it still be a problem especially if I had a fan lightly blowing on the leaves to bring in fresh air?

That is the reason that I am reluctant to offer seeds of the other varieties that I am growing like the 7 pod, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Morrich, Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Habs, Fatalli they are all growing in a secluded section together and the ones I have in pots are also growing next to each other. As I am only growing these for my own amusement and consumption not a big deal.

The pepper in question by the way still in question on what kind of pepper it is. This pepper is completely isolated with only plants from seeds of the mother plant. That plant overwintered one year and produced extremely well the second year it died this year the mother plant was also isolated. I am already getting pods from the offspring plants and they are true. I did cross this pepper with a poblano we will see next year how that turns first time crossing anything. I have done what ever possible to keep this pepper true and so far with that and just dumb luck they seem to remain uncrossed.I am more than glad to offer seeds to does that wish to have some of this one particular pepper. I mostly grow chinense and I don't believe this pepper to be a chinense it would be possible but difficult at best for this pepper to cross with my chinese but never say never.

Back