• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone growing Yaki blue?

All I know is that the seeds came from The Chilli Factory.
Overall plant colour is very dark / purple. Plant shape is almost identical to my Jalapenos.
Oh well ... let the wait begin :P

nuclearDays said:
All I know is that the seeds came from The Chilli Factory.
Overall plant colour is very dark / purple. Plant shape is almost identical to my Jalapenos.
Oh well ... let the wait begin :P

I reckon your pods will be awesome, all the Yaki pods I see are...

I'm thinking it will be similar to these ones

Further research says to me there are two distinct plants that have labelled Yaki Blue, wether by accident, association or creator I don't know... From what I've read there is a Yaki Blue Fawn - Fillius Blue x Bhut Jolokia Red and a a Yaki Blue - Pimenta Da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia Red...

One has the more distint Black (Pimenta) foliage with darker purple/black pods ripening to Deep Red / Burgundy, distinctly Bhut in shape due to the long pimenta x Bhut pods.

The other is the more green with purple trim foliage with green / purple bulbous pod's (due to the Fillius Blue) ripening to a lighter purple / red / brown tone. 

This would explain the similar yet vastly different results and confusion behind the results.. I believe along the way certain suppliers mayhave mixed there possibly new Yaki Blue seed stock with new Yaki Blue (fawn) seed stock and ended up mix supplying customers giving them those green and black plants.. This is all guess work and with a name like Yaki Blue you would assume they both originated from the same creator along the way..

Anyways... Still just guess work atm. But  would explain a lot,  they are allegedly two separate crosses.

*** I can't still work out why the flowers have Baccatum markings if there allegedly a Annuum x Chinense. I reckon the Yaki Fawn has a secret third Baccatum variety in them. *** The mind ponders...

My mother bought my plant from a clearance centre.. Got it for $4  for a 3 feet tall plant about to pod and thought I might like it...   :hot:  :hot:  :hot: ...

Had no idea what it was till I researched it later, soooooo happy she got it for me.. I asked her if there was any more and she said .. " Yeah they had heaps but I didn't know if they were any good to you? "  !!!!!  Noooooooo !!!!! ....

So I haven't got any seeds at the moment.. I hope to gather some good stocks over the next few months, the pods seem to grow expediently so 'm hoping for  a good crop fast.

I will be more than happy to trade once some seeds start to get harvested..

nuclearDays said:
That's some booming growth!
I think you have a pretty unique strain happening there, Kraken ... it's the first pepper I've seen that's becoming tranparent (a real Ghost pepper) !!! ;)
LMAO .. I like it .. I like it a lot !! And did you notice that vampiric red glow too lol..

But honestly the thing is a freak, it's gone from a flower bud to what is a fairly normal full sized pod for a Bhut in less than 3 weeks.. My peach Bhut took more than 2 months for similar growth and my chocolate took about 1 1/2 months , I reckon it will continue to grow larger too it's not done yet

Here's what my pods look like. This is at 2 weeks of age:

HnW501b.jpg

Looks similar to your pods, Kraken, maybe a bit darker.

Mine are about the same in direct light the purple glows but in darker light its that black/purple colour.. But yes very similar , I'd say our pheno's are the same... My pod has stopped growing now it's about 3 inches long inch and a half wide at thickest point an has a very triangular cross section.. Rounded tip slighly rough almost like a bloated Bhut shape less warped more straight, not sure if it will ripen to burgundy or stay dark yet .. Time will tell
Here's a photo from today..

KrakenPeppers said:
Has your Yaki pod had huge growth since then?

I wouldn't say huge growth but then again they don't get a hell of a lot of direct sunlight where they are growing. They'd be comparable with my white bhuts but quicker than my peach bhuts and naga bhut.

drew1226 said:
Wow, beautiful pods nuclear and kraken. Definitely a variety I am going to look into growing next season.
If your going to grow these make sure you get the Yaki blue that's a Pimenta x Bhut and not a Fillius blue x Bhut because they are very different .. Or grow both

Very very nice pods.. My pod continues to stay purple ... I cant wait for it to ripen but OMG how long.... I have only had 2 other pods set so far and both were drilled into by bugs GRRRRR.. So now I'm sitting on one giant pod again...

Back