• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone still growing the SB7J?

spysee said:

Wow that is a really cool shape. Almost looks like a mushroom cloud, which goes great with the atomic theme.

Yeah, hopefully I can stabilize that shape.

Ignite said:
I planted 5 and had all 5 come up. I only have room for two so I'm faced with a hard decision. All are very healthy looking plants. I'm not sure what generation but they came from a member here.

Thanks
i would try to find them homes, ive given a couple friends plants i dont have space for

I got a small pack with 3 seeds of it sent to me as that is all they had. So far none has popped while most of my other C, chinense have come, I'm thinking they are a bust, so I will look for some next year as I'm hurting for space as it is.
From what I have heard it is a pretty tasty pepper and worth growing so I will be looking forward to growing it.

I have some from 2 sources going now, really looking forward to trying out your cross Patrick. Not positive what Fs.

patrick said:
I'm curious if anyone is still growing it and what generation they're at.

Thanks. :P
patrick.. im curious as to what the parents traits were
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Got the seeds from pods off silver Surfers grow last years grow. I then shared with a friend in western assuie and here's his photos.

same guy who sent me the photos above to post on here sent me these pictures below

yellow SBJ7s?

Patrick, I have plants from Dulac`s Atomic Bonnet selection, plus ones from Coheed196 that have a different phenotype. While the shapes of the pods are awesome, it`s the brilliant flavor that is the best part. Brilliant flavor and decent heat!!!

Aye, the flavor is spectacular, Nigel. I noticed slight differences in flavor, but they were generally the same. The one I selected for its shape also had the best taste from what I had to select from last season. I had a plant that grew very tiny SB7Js with virtually the same shape as the one I decided to select, but the flavor wasn't as good. I have some F4 seeds from another member this year. I was wondering what shape best represented the SB7J just in case I come across it, Patrick. I might also cross the atomic SB F4 selection with a Scotch Bonnet MoA.

Patrick, is the shape you're looking for look like this?
8025687825_8eb8365e7b.jpg

This particular pod from the parent of the atomic SB selection had this abnormal pod (most seemed to resemble Scotch bonnets).

Dulac said:
 I'll be stabilizing at least that Atomic Scotch bonnet. Perhaps with other members' help.

Looks nice, I'd call it (thermo-)nuclear bonnet or Atomic Bonnet or Tsar Bonnet (in reference to the Tsar Bomba, the world's highest thermo-nuclear explosive yield of 50 MT).
Yeah, Tsar Bonnet would be great, it is reminiscent of Tsar Bomba.

Bhut_Trolokia said:

Looks nice, I'd call it (thermo-)nuclear bonnet or Atomic Bonnet or Tsar Bonnet (in reference to the Tsar Bomba, the world's highest thermo-nuclear explosive yield of 50 MT).
Yeah, Tsar Bonnet would be great, it is reminiscent of Tsar Bomba.

Maybe a cross with a Moruga can earn it the title of Tsar Bonnet :) . It'd be quite hard to retain the shape, but perhaps I can work on it when it's more stable.  I'm afraid I'll lose the heat by crossing it with the SB MoA, but I really appreciate the breeding the Jamaican MoA has done.

Nigel said:
Patrick, I have plants from Dulac`s Atomic Bonnet selection, plus ones from Coheed196 that have a different phenotype. While the shapes of the pods are awesome, it`s the brilliant flavor that is the best part. Brilliant flavor and decent heat!!!

Coheed's selection has a very interesting and unique shape. In some pics it kinda resembles a Brazilian Starfish. He's selecting for a more SB look though. Let me know if you have any that look similar to the starfish. I think that's an interesting shape to select.

Here are the mini SB7Js I was talking about:
9519145671_63f59d022e.jpg

They're quite interesting, but I decided not to grow them this year. A bite size SB7J would be cool. The plant was prolific.

Back