• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Anyone with a Horticulture degree? Advice needed.

Hey folks. Just curious as to if anyone ended up studying this in college/at university. Been thinking about abandoning my old major, again, for this. Thankfully some credits transfer but I'm caught in that loop of, I just need something to provide for my child/just finish already vs. studying something I'm actually into. Idk. Starting to ramble to myself again. Anyway. Thanks in advance for any advice available.

-Cliff

I have thought about getting one myself, but not stopping there.  Hortculture degrees don't offer a lot of high paying job opportunity unless you plan on getting into your own landscaping business or starting your own nursery.  Starting a business means possibly needing an additional degree in accounting or management, so personally it wouldn't work for me.  If I do it I'm going all the way and getting a ScD in a botanical field so I can be a plant doctor :).  The topic of phytoreclamation seriously interests me and I'd like to specialize in it later in life.  As of right now I'm young and I'm enjoying being single with no kids and having the opportunity to travel freely across the country without being stuck in a serious career or having immediate education goals.

I've seen people out here pay arborist a couple hundred dollars to come out for 5 minutes and give their opinion. Not sure exactly what degree that is but something to think about.

Back