• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Apache peppers

A garden center here has "Apache" plants, anyone ever grown them? If so how they taste, thick flesh or thin? Like I really need any more plants and I still have more seeds I need to germinate, but you know how it is....

I know the feeling, I bought 2 plants today actually. I bought a cherry bomb, and a Big Bomb.... They just looked so happy full of flowers, I had to adopt them!

oh yea, never played with the apache.

Quick google search and this is the first pic.

peppers.jpg

Looks interesting

A few years ago I rescued a couple of dying "Apache Jalapeno" plants from a garden center. They were very prolific pepper plants. The pods were small, pequin-like and fairly hot with very thin walls. I loved munching on them all summer while working in the garden or greenhouse. They were nothing like a jalalpeno, so I thought they were mislabeled. It took about a million of them to make an ounce of powder because the walls were so thin. OK for flavor. Excellent potted plant for a porch or window.

yep patio pot plant type very prolific and stay small (1 cubic foot approx) but there is always wave of ready pepper in once it's starting...
giving a LOT of small red hot peppers.
they are offering a good heat (but this is no super hot)

Bumping this thread a bit since I've got a question about Apache as well.

I've been growing Apache for two years now. Bought it from a Swedish general seed company (Seed pack: http://static.froer.nu/image/cache/700x700-inside/029d878a9bccb2a2.jpg).

Problem is, mine looks nothing like the ones in any pics I've seen. They're a lot chubbier and vary in size from round and small to large and almost habanero-shaped. Has anyone else seen this before?

Two plants later in the season, size/shape difference is due to right one not getting proper supplemental lighting before being moved outside.

apache are f1 around here and i tried a f2 (seeds of F1) the shape changed completely...

same as the orange cheyenne... looks like the picture above of "unknown" apache

Those look like very small bell peppers. Do they have any heat?

Yeah, they do have some nice heat actually. I must say that so far it's my favorite pepper I've grown (haven't grown too many varieties though). Stays quite low, has very tight nodes and produces lots of fruit from early on (it usually starts setting fruit even before I can transplant them properly).

Back