• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Apartment garden war, (mercy, sweet mercy)

i too live in apartments in alabama what i do is find someone that lived in an apartment there and had no plants and ask them if i could use the area they have to that way you could split it betweent two areas p.s. i live in clanton just south of ya
+1
Good idea. You could offer a percentage of the crop to your helpful neighbors.

If he didn't cite a specific reason with any certainty then someone has complained and he cannot/does not want to reveal who it is or the nature of the complaint.

The complaint was probably something like "the garden is right near my window and I don't like it, but don't tell him it was me cos I see him everyday", therefore telling you what the compalint really is would reveal who is complaining, so he has made something up that it's too tall. This point matters because you don't know what the real problem is and hence how to fix it with him.

Like everyone said you don't have a leg to stand on and antagonising him in any way won't get you anything good. Your best bet is to try to talk to him in a friendly way and find out what the real problem is with the plants. Say to him what you wrote... that the other gardens around are similar size and surely the plants can't be causing any problem... etc. If you can get the info out of him then you might be able to do something about it.

If you really have to, then only do something to piss him off if you are planning to move soon anyway.
Plants too tall??? It may have been a jealous neighbor. Whoever has the smallest plants may be the culprit.

Man I'm glad I live about 20 miles north of B'ham in Hayden (aka the country) I do live in a subdivision but I also have 2 acres do to as I please...woo hoo

As a paying tenant, you DO have rights. What needs to be clarified is what those are EXACTLY. If he cannot show where in your contract it states that either you can't grow plants or that plants grown by tenants must not exceed such and such height or so so amount of containers then you in turn have every right to tell him, tactifully, to shove off.

As with most Apt rental contracts, the language typically used is intentionally broad to cover all manner "tiffs" and "taff's" by property management, however I've personally seen a few that could stand to be more specific. If you have leeway here, I say exploit it.

In closing, as others have mentioned, proper tact and form is best in approaching such matters. Even if after your efforts you find your still stuck with this guys interpretations of "acceptable" at the very least you should be able to confirm (preferably in writing) what EXACTLY is the rub, thereby enabling you to make proper adjustments to your set up.

Read through your lease agreement carefully, I am willing to be there is no clause about too many plants in your garden. As long you were aloud to put in a garden originally I do not think they can force you to remove it. The only thing I could see is that they do not want your containers on the grass, even if it is dead they may want to get it living again or they may want to avoid other tenants copying what you have done. I live in a relatively small town with a huge college population and the lease agreements are notoriously strict, there are specific rules about trash, clutter, patio furniture, bikes, and pet waste, but I have never seen anything that could pertain to a well kept garden. I would make sure to keep the area completely clear of gardening equipment or materials that are not the plants themselves and then ask them to show you the part in your lease agreement that you are in violation of.

I side with the guys who have suggested you be courteous and tactful (the catching flies with honey approach). If all else fails, you could tell him what an investment you have in your plants and point out that it won't be too long before the season's over and you will then remove the offending plants.

And if you can find out the offended neighbor try to casually start a conversation or just cold knock as a friendly neighbor sharing produce. Might want to avoid putting the superhots in that gracious offering.

A couple of good responses so far. I would follow the advice of LGHT, AJ and anyone else who suggested working with the guy. If he's willing take him to your garden and show him everything you've done thus far. Let him know how much you have invested in time, effort and money. Find a way to compromise; top the plants, share the produce, ask if you can let these go for this year and next season you'll do things different. Find a way to get him on your side and I can assure you your garden problems are long gone.

One last thing, if you choose to go over his head prepare to have a new enemy. Depending on how big of an a-hole the guy is things could get real nasty. A few peppers and tomatoes isn't worth it.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have already read through the lease, and the rules and regulations section. It is indeed just a broad sweeping statement that basically gives him the right to pick and choose what they want to have changed. There is only one neighbor who I am not friendly with. She stays inside, never uses the backyard area, avoids talking to anyone, and is generally very awkward. We have exchanged "heys" but that is it. Her unit is situated the furthest from my garden. The older couple next to me even offered their backyard space if I wanted to spread my garden out way before any of this happened, so I might see if the guy would be ok with me spreading it out. What really, really irks me is that the guy across from me, who I have gotten to be friends with, has a clunky charcoal grill in a state of disrepair, a table and chairs set with a broken umbrella, and the cushions from the chairs are all over the place everytime a storm blows through. All of this not to mention cigarette buts and other refuse on the ground. I could care less and would never complain, and I am certain he didn't say anything about it. In fact, I am 100% sure that all my immediate neighbors haven't said anything, they all compliment me on it and many of them discuss gardening and ask for advice. Another neighbor has a tomato plant in her backyard.
Another unit close to mine is a young couple with 3 kids. The kids fight with toy swords right outside my window, and they leave their bikes and toys all over the place on the sidewalks. In front of their unit, in plain view from the road, is what looks like a redneck playground. But of course, they are a young well to do couple who just don't give a crap so nothing has been done about it. And guess what? I haven't complained and would never complain.
I am thinking that the property manager guy just doesn't want everyone to follow suit as some of you suggested, he did say "if everyone else did this it'd be too crowded." I am with almost 100% certainty that no one has complained. What reaaaally pisses me off about this is other units, with more narrow hidden from the road backyards, have multiple grills, tons of birdhouses and other semi permanent fixtures and have been that way for awhile. I think it's just because mine is viewable from the road and in an open area that he has decided he doesn't like it.
What I have working in my favor is that this property manager guy is a short, spineless guy who prefers to put the maintenance guy in between him and any tenants. The maintenance guy has complained about it to me before and guess what? The guy wrapped up the conversation with "I'll get soemone to call you soon." Haha.

The best course of action, I believe, is that whenever, and if ever, Daniel calls me I'll first say that I am not trying to cause any problems. And these points
1. I don't understand why they waited until now, when the plants have been out til May, to ask me to remove them and say honestly I will be out a lot of money if I get rid of these.
2. The season will be over in 2 to three months, why can't he just wait?
3. I'll mention that I can divide the garden up amongst my neighbors (I just remembered that another one told me, without me asking, that I could put plants in her yard).
4. I'll mention that I have lived her for three years, and have had a dirt backyard that turns to a flooded mudplane whenever it rains. I'll point out that live green plants, if anything, are an improvement.
5. If height is an issue, and with the soil being so crappy, I will glady til, as others have done and I was unaware I could do, and add garden soil and put the tallest plants in the ground. Then when I leave, the soil will be in better shape then when I arrived. (last resort, I really don't want to til in July heat through hard clay!)
6. Because I know all of my neighbors don't mind it, I might ask them to sign a petition of sorts saying it doesn't bother them. I have a hunch the older couple, who love the garden and whom I talk to frequently, might even make a phone call without me asking.

If all else fails, I will say sorry (to the property manager, not Daniel), I didn't see anything about not being able to have a garden, or height requirements in the lease. In fact, I had one last year and you didn't say anything. Absent proof of any complaints, I am of the opinion that you have waived your right by acquiescence to have me remove the garden absent restitution (garden last summer, garden has been out there for months). I either want to be paid back an adjusted down, fair price for my lost plants, or I want you to till and place down sod behind my apartment as soon as I have the plants removed, as I am sick of tracking mud in and dirtying up my porch, and I don't want to look at dirt (THAT, my friends, is part of the landlord tenant agreement for my place, that they will perform maintenance and pay for it to keep it satisfactory).

We will see how it goes, but knowing that the maintenance guy is on my side, I am not worried.

While always being courteous, you could, if the plants in question are tomatos, top them, then use rootone or some other rooting compound, root them, and start new plants and see if your neighbors will take the new starts, even help them set the plants up, then everyone will be the same, and they can't single you out.

While always being courteous, you could, if the plants in question are tomatos, top them, then use rootone or some other rooting compound, root them, and start new plants and see if your neighbors will take the new starts, even help them set the plants up, then everyone will be the same, and they can't single you out.

+2

You could do it with your peppers also, although I doubt height is an issue with peppers unless you have some trees goin'!

I hate reading about stuff like this just sickens my stomach to think about people like this

How messed up you got to be to give someone a hard time about a growing food there is soooo many other things that could be worse than plants....

Best bet is to just play along with his ego trip make him feel like hes the "boss" and then ask if he could at least let you finish the season due to the hard work and money you have invested and if he does you would be most appreciative and be willing to share the harvest with him....then go pay a 16 yr old to sugar his gas tank J/K J/K....or am I.

Best of luck with your douchebag of a manager i hope things work out and you get to keep your plants

Yeah it sounds like the guy is just a douchebag! Wanting to go on a powertrip. I can understand someone having strict rules on building maintenance etc but from what you say he has just decided to pick on you. How can a garden full of plants look worse than dirt and buildings?? Small peanut of a man.

You don't have a photo of the "offending" plants we can see? I know that if you let tomatoes go they can get messy with shrivelled leaves and dead branches everywhere. I doubt that is a problem, just want to see what the guy considers too tall or too much.

I have some words you can share with your property manager, and I quote

"Smile like a Donut asshole"

I hate property managers who are like that. He's probably just pissed cause he can't grow anything as well.

Everyone is being to hard on the property manager. What you need to do is apologize for having such awesome plants, and bake him/her some cookies with some scorpian powder mixed in. Nothing says im sorry like a nice plate of cookies ;).

Quick update on my battle to keep my garden: nothing of note. The maintenance guy is still on my side and the property manager hasn't said a word since. Hopefully that is now moot.

I am giving the maintenance guy my potato leaf brandywine. I need to pot up my Black Krim which is stressed beyond belief in it's 20 inch pot, it needs the 24 inch pot and everytime there is a storm the brandywine gets torn up. I can't stake it/protect enough in a container with it's huge leaves, so it is a win/win, plus if anything the maintenance guy is even more firmly in my corner, and I "got rid" of one plant (while hopefully saving another!)

Talked to the maintenance guy today. It's not a dead issue. The maintenance guy told the property manager on my behalf why not just let the season end, tell him not to do it next summer, and move on with it since no one has complained. He also said that he knew I had a lot of time and money invested into the plants. The property manager's response was that he is not compromising, he wants me down to five containers. He told the maintenance guy that he was going to be sending me a letter.

I will be sure to transcribe the letter on here when I get it. Gonna be a doozy haha.

Back