• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests aphid question

I am an exterminator and have access to chemicals, but do not want to mess up my plants. I have a spritzer that I put water in and a couple drops of dish soap. Spritzed and caused leaves to drop within a day orso. I franticcaly cleaned out spritzer and spritzed just water. This helped, but all the leaves have the sticky aphid sap and aphids everywhere. Most aphids seem to be dead. I have beenwatering more ( been hot). I still have leaves dropping. Thank god my best plant (ghost) is out front away from the others. All of my plants (15) on the patio, are sporting sticky aphid leaves. Most of hem are loosing a few leaves a day. I shake the baranches and leaves fall.

Any advise?

THANKS

the best way to do is put them all into one place cover the things up and release lady bug in, they should be gone within couple of days. happen to me early in the winter as well. those can be really nasty.

Remember that aphid eggs will live in the soil as well. Also kill all ants, they transport the buggers up into the plant.

Rymerpt said:
I am an exterminator and have access to chemicals, but do not want to mess up my plants. I have a spritzer that I put water in and a couple drops of dish soap. Spritzed and caused leaves to drop within a day orso. I franticcaly cleaned out spritzer and spritzed just water. This helped, but all the leaves have the sticky aphid sap and aphids everywhere. Most aphids seem to be dead. I have beenwatering more ( been hot). I still have leaves dropping. Thank god my best plant (ghost) is out front away from the others. All of my plants (15) on the patio, are sporting sticky aphid leaves. Most of hem are loosing a few leaves a day. I shake the baranches and leaves fall.

Any advise?

THANKS

Aphids are a regular thing for me it seems, but it's very easy to get on top of it.

I take the plants and hose them off with the adjustable pressure spray nozzle. Really douse the plants, the under leaves, over, everywhere with the high pressure. The aphids get blown off and the plant gets watered, as well as cleaning off the sap from the aphids. It's super easy and is effective.

Wulf said:
Have you ever seen Starship Troopers?

Aphids are like that.

You need to use fire.  Lots of fire.  Then when you think "Wow, that's a lot of fire", use even more fire.
when lots of fire does not work, use more even more fire

I love the peanut gallery here :P

Rymerpt said:

Any advise?

THANKS

What kind of dishsoap? Detergents will damage plants are low concentrations. If you have hard water it's best avoided all together, any soap will react with the water and make a nice plant killing spray.

Castille soap (Bronners) or anything with "potassium salts of fatty acids" on the label is what your aiming for.

Back