• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphid solution!!

WOW!!

The cavalry has arrived from Tuscon, AZ!

I really did not expect the package till Monday but this is a very welcome sign. I have a very special surprise for my aphid colonies.

5 days after release and I have only found 1 lacewing larva on two separate occasions. not the close to 1000 I had so hoped. the aphids are at pandemic proportions and I don't dare spray for fear of taking out beneficials, what few there are. A few ladybugs still remain and are in the process of continuing the string of complete life cycles to 3. Last week the plants were on a long awaited upswing in growth and health and are now within a day of catastrophe if something miraculous doesn't happen.
I'll bet I have 10,000 aphids in a 4x7 grow area.

Green lacewings turned out to be a bigger waste of time than the ladybugs. If you can corral the ladybugs for a couple of weeks they will eat the aphids, but whats more important is they will procreaet in the grow area and you will as a result benefit from the reulting ladybug larvae. larvae that morphe into ladybug will be more inclined to syay in the grow area and produce multiple life cycles.

I have finally completely eliminated all the aphids in the grow room and it did not come without a severe cost. 98% of the grow started on 12/25/13 has been destroyed. A bumper crop has been started that includes in some cases the last of some of the seeds of some varieties that I had.

In bringing this thread to a close and hopfully keeping anyone from enduring what I have gone through the last 6 months, heed these words, DO NOT TAKE 1 APHID FOR GRANTED!!    Consider 1 aphid as 1 cancer cell.

Pepperjack91 said:
You'll see the little mongrels.

And Joefish, do your best to catch them before they attack the leaves this bad! Like with anything the sooner the better..

I feel like you should be especially alert for them as your plants start to flower. I noticed last year that they would cluster on the stems of the flowers and suck on them till they drop. It ruined my super hot harvest last year.. Live and learn.
I think this is what happened to me this year.  T=literally ALL my flowers fell.  I had a ton of aphids... I just started using a spray and it finally got rid of them after 3-4 applications.  My leaves were yellow, burnt like and all my flowers fell shoveled up like they were sucked dry.

well, how did you do it?

HP22BH said:
Green lacewings turned out to be a bigger waste of time than the ladybugs. If you can corral the ladybugs for a couple of weeks they will eat the aphids, but whats more important is they will procreaet in the grow area and you will as a result benefit from the reulting ladybug larvae. larvae that morphe into ladybug will be more inclined to syay in the grow area and produce multiple life cycles.

I have finally completely eliminated all the aphids in the grow room and it did not come without a severe cost. 98% of the grow started on 12/25/13 has been destroyed. A bumper crop has been started that includes in some cases the last of some of the seeds of some varieties that I had.

In bringing this thread to a close and hopfully keeping anyone from enduring what I have gone through the last 6 months, heed these words, DO NOT TAKE 1 APHID FOR GRANTED!!    Consider 1 aphid as 1 cancer cell.

I have a nice little brown7p that was infested with aphids so I did a little AACT and followed up with some close observation.

week 1
Full Coating of AACT top to bottom
  1. within a few days I found less and less aphids
  2. the aphids that I did find were adults only and started to look more of a brown then green
Week 2
  1. Some brownish aphids were still alive but didn't look healthy.
  2. Lots of little white dead phids all over.
Week 3
  1. No more aphids AT ALL!
  2. Loads of new healthy growth
  3. Plant looks Great Starting to pod up like a mofo.

Back