• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting aquarium lights for peppers?

does the lights for aquariums work for hot peppers?

2012-02-11162456.jpg

2012-02-11162439.jpg

not worth it unless you already had them laying around like i did... i'm using power glo and power gro bulbs right now...

If you wish to grow your peppers, cold light with 6500K should be the best choice for you.
Aquarium CFL have specific light frequencies (10000K) that aren't the optimal choice to grow your seedlings.
And they are more expensive too...

Aquarium CFL have specific light frequencies (10000K) that aren't the optimal choice to grow your seedlings.

Incorrect sir... There are a few spectrums that aquarium bulbs come in, not just the 10k.. They range from 6500k to 12-14k.. CFL's may not hit the 14k mark yet, and their actinic is horrible (460nm) (I had quite a few reef tanks), but the majority are at 6500k actually.. I have more variety of bulbs here than you can imagine (175w-400w MH, VHO & HO, PC, CFL).. Most bulbs WILL list the spectrum on the packaging, as most aquarists have specific tastes in tank color.

What you need to remember is that corals are not plants, but they ARE photosynthetic (symbiotic) animals. Reef tank lighting is trying to duplicate the sun just as much as plant lighting does, but some bulbs are specifically for the shorter wave length to show a coral's flourescence. Those are the actinic 03 type bulbs (kind of like a blacklight, but more purple). Most people mix actinics with 6500k bulbs in order to give a more blue/white appearance to the light, a straight 6500k bulb (for example, an Iwasaki MH) is pretty yellow in color to the naked eye, and not pleasing in a reef tank.

So, I would say YES to aquarium bulbs, considering thats all I am using and doing well so far (not to mention, its not the type of bulb, its the color temp and lumens / par that you need to be concerned with).

Back