• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are 9 plants too many?

I have a self irrigated box that is 3'6" x 4'6" x 18", is 9 pepper plants too many for this space?

The peppers are looking good and staying healthy, but they are indeed flourishing quite a bit.  Just curious how to determine if I've over planted for the space given.

Thank you,

https://vimeo.com/223957970

That's 1.75 square feet per plant.  IMO, you've got plenty of soil volume, but available light will be limited, particularly for the non-corner plants.  Your plants will do fine, and produce plenty of peppers, but they won't grow as large as they would with more resources.
IMO, you're slightly over-planted, but not to the point that you should worry about it or make changes to the layout. 

Thanks Geonerd, you are spot on about the ones in the middle not getting enough available light, it is evident that they are not in the same physical standards as the others.  I may plant on in each corner next year with one in the middle.

I will let this year run its course and decide after harvest time.

My concern (in addition to sunlight issue) would also be airflow. If they're too cramped it is very inviting to unwanted pests and mold. I would recommend pruning some of the lower growth and some of the inner growth so they're not so bushy. That will help with airflow and allow some light in.

There is a method of growing a medicinal plant called "screen of green" which when looked at in Google images will show you how to trim them

Reactions: lek
Back