• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are any cayennes worth growing?

cayenne is avery good teasting chili if used well mainly as powder it might not teast good fresh for you but i still like it for asian cook.

I agree with PepperLover with respect to the powder, I like to dry and grind most of my peppers (after removing the seeds and placenta) and then blend various pepper powders to make a tasty spice. The dried cayenne powder is a beautiful dark red in color and adds to the overall flavor of the spice blend. It is difficult and tedious to remove the seeds and placenta, so you must be somewhat dedicated to doing it.

Ive got some cayennes that were close to 14" long and around 1 1/4" thick. They had a good flavor and were much more impressive to me than the regular cayennes. I have grown a few varieties including the long thin reds, and wasnt very happy. Same problem. Plenty of fruits, not great on the taste and heat. I have some seeds if youd like to try em out. I dont have any pics of fully ripe fruits. I have some of them pretty close though. I forgot to take the pics before I used em up. A good specimen I must say.

Never heard of the Pusa Jwala windchicken. Where did you get them?

Not sure where windchicken got his, but I agree they have a little more heat and flavor than a generic cayenne. I was able to get a few plants from another forum member last year. I love to pick and eat fresh cayenne types with a meal. Now that I look back, I should've saved some seeds.

Never heard of the Pusa Jwala windchicken. Where did you get them?

Sorry I missed your post—I've been away from the forums for a couple of days. I get my Jwala seeds, as well as some of my other Asian types, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com). They call them "India Jwala," but, as far as I know, they are the only ones that call it such. Pusa Jwala is reputedly the most popular pepper in India.

Sorry I missed your post—I've been away from the forums for a couple of days. I get my Jwala seeds, as well as some of my other Asian types, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com). They call them "India Jwala," but, as far as I know, they are the only ones that call it such. Pusa Jwala is reputedly the most popular pepper in India.

Neil also sells those from THSC.

Back