• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Are dual monitors at home worth the money?

How many monitors do you use at home?

• Total voters
Are dual monitors at home worth the money? I'm building a new comp, and I don't really do much gaming. I could have a lower spec comp with two monitors, a higher spec comp with one monitor, or I could just be a cheapo and get the lower spec comp. Keep in mind I have $90k in student loans...the computer I'm currently using is 7 years old and is starting to lag even while just opening emails while multi tasking AIM and the internet.

For video editing, yes. For general computing, no.

I use 2 monitors at work and it is very handy but I can't see the point in having 2 at home.....I would rather spend the money on getting 1 great quality wide screen monitor for home.

2 monitors may help a little while doing school stuff but in the long run you are better off getting 1 good one instead of 2 crap ones....

i have had one for most of my life but recently got another and it's great.

I have a 21" and 22" widescreen. It's great having more desktop space (ultramon is a great app) and i can watch movies on one screen while chatting/interwebbing on the other.

Also have the xbox plugged into one of them, so i can game on super clear screen while computering on the other.

edit: i totally agree on "one good monitor > 2 crap ones". My main 21" monitor is a samsung of great quality. Viewing angle is massive and no colour distortion from vertical viewing angle change like you see on dodgier panels. My cheap 22" that i picked up as a second monitor is fine from dead straight on, but fails as far as colour reproduction goes. It's 16:9 though so great for console gaming.
The 'better monitor' cost at least twice as much but it's so worth it.

I have 2 at home, a 19" and 22". At work I have 6. I could never go back to less than 2. I don't watch TV so if I'm home, I'm either asleep or on the computer. Typically at home, I'll have music or a movie playing on the 19" and also use that for all my IM windows that I usually have open and use the 22" for my main stuff, or sometimes playing a game.

To the guy above me, yes Ultramon is a great utility. Linux has great multi monitor support also, but it's not quite as straightforward to set up.

I totally recommend having two. You don't know what you're missing until you use a multi head setup.

I use them here at work(two 19") and since i've had them i couldn't even imagine working without them. They make life so much easier for me. Especially since here at work i have to have about 6 pages open at the same time to do my job quickly and properly. If i ever get a comp at home i'll more than likely go for 2 monitors also because i'm so used to it now.

if you get a wide screen monitor, you can open 2 programs side by side on the one screen, ie word and excel.

I set up a dual monitor on my wife's computers and ran cable into the client area so that she can show clients what their pets had been up to.

Back