• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are Fatalli's slow starters?

If I ever find my digital camera, I'll post some pics. I have 2 Fatalli's. One sprouted on 04/04, the other on 04/06. Neither of these have grown the second set of leaves, and they are at least half as tall as other varieties that sprouted on the same days. Is this normal for Fatalli's? Are they slow starters?

Cool!

In my brief growing carreer, this being my 4th season, this is the most scovilles that I have been able to germinate!

Every season one of my chinense varieties decides "I am going to grow as slow as I can this season" and then proceeds to dawdle along behind all the others. Which variety, any variety. This year it was douglah. Its fine now pumping along but it took forever to get there.

I've had a hell of a time with my fatalis. I've got 3 different sources, 1 from THSC that I had 0/9 germination on the first round. This round I've got 100% germination from some Pepperlover seeds that I got via Muskymojo on here (thanks again bro!), and still looking at 0% on my THSCs and some I pulled from a local grower's dried pods. And with the ones that have sprouted, they're quite a bit smaller than the Carib Reds that popped at the same time.

But based entirely on flavor, they're gonna be worth the stress and missing patches of beard once they fruit.

My fatalli's are the fastest of my superhots followed by trini scorps, the Bhuts are now about to over take the scorps. The Naga morich & 7 pod yellows are taking their time. all planted on the 21st March.

yes they can be slow at times, i have 3 plants this year and two of the three are poking there remain very small but the third one turns out to be almost the biggest, but its leaves are the broadest of them all and i had to remove a few as it was starting to shade some of my smaller plants

i have grown nearly 110 species in my growing career and Fatalii can be a little slow but franz is right once they get going theres really no stopping them, definatly worth the wait they taste awesome!! ;) hang in there

hope this helps your friend Joe

This is the only time that I tried to sprout Fatalli's. I have a 100% germination rate - 2 for 2. To give credit to the seller, here is the info form the packet:

Frank Flynn's Seeds
P.O. Box 7181 Temple AZ 85281

I don't remember how I found them. I was probably either through amazon or ebay, but may have been some random google search.

This puppy was planted on 21st March - seed straight in the mix.

fatalliseedplanted21031.jpg

I've had about the same happen. My Fatalli's had been slow to start (germ after ten days). The Scorps and 7 pot seem to be the strongest growers from the supper hots (sown on 16/03 and already have 2-3 leave pairs) Bhuts seem to grow at about the same rate as the Fatalli's even though they took less time to germinate.

I had zero germinate out of about 10. Some in soil, some on paper towel in plastic bags. I may have cooked them though. I have already got some more and I'm going to have another go for next season. Really want to try these ones!

I have 3 varieties that are just midgets. Aussie Lantern, Tobago Seasoning, and Chocolate Fatalii. My Choco Fatalii is around 3 months old, and about half an inch tall with 4 sets of leaves. same mix as everything else, i might pull it up and bare root it, get some myco fungus on the roots and put it in some new mix, or turf it and make space for other things.

My 2 Fatalli' took 11 days to sprout. I don't care much about the slowness. I just need them to be sturdy enough to go in my garden on May 27th.

Have to agree that they can be slow sometimes. As Franz said. They take off quite nicely and will give you a bountiful harvest of hot tasty pods
Good luck!!

This is the only time that I tried to sprout Fatalli's. I have a 100% germination rate - 2 for 2. To give credit to the seller, here is the info form the packet:

Frank Flynn's Seeds
P.O. Box 7181 Temple AZ 85281

I don't remember how I found them. I was probably either through amazon or ebay, but may have been some random google search.

I personal won't deal with him anymore. He is on eBay. He believes that the time to ship 7 items that all state 1 day shipping is 7 days. And when I complained to them about the time it was taking and I got an ignorant resonse saying he still had even more time if he wanted to take it. Once I finally got everything it all grew true and germ rates where acceptable. But custom service is a personal deal breaker in my book. and besides there are plenty of great sellers on here, with even more people willing to trade.

Just my two cents.

I don't think my Fatalli's are going to make it. I have no doubt they are a fine breed, but I am not creating thie correct environment. I just soaked both of them, as one was drooped over, showing signs of dehydration. The breed is weird, as they are not growing, but the roots are soaking up water at a rate that I have not witnessed before! A conservative estimate is four times as fast as my other pepper plants. Fatalli's come from Central and southern Africa. A quick Internet search on Central Africa, shows that it is a very rainy area. Perhaps it makes sense that they need so much water. I'll make sure to water them more often, and will post the progress, but I don't have great expectations.

seed source might be the culprit? i ordered fatali seeds from a reputable source last year, and they had a shitty germination rate, but the ones that did were very prolific. the seeds i saved from those plants were the first to germinate in my chinense varieties this year. i honestly think some sources dehydrate their seeds way too much and make it hard for them to germinate. just get yourself a few plants that make it through the whole process, save some of your own seed, and you will probably notice that all your problems disappear...my 2 cents

Back