• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

are the weak habeneros at supermarkets real habaneros?

Hmmm....i've gotten some from Publix before and they've been downright violent...i've never got any that were mild or weak before.

Actually, now that i look at them, they don't look like true habaneros, but then again, i'm not an expert, either.

The mild habs they sell in stores or seed compamies they have labeled suave habs, a dead ringer for orange habs. there is a lot of tobago sweet that looks like habs, but those look like a bishops crown to me.
how much heat is there? what market and where is the region did you get them from?
ML

Those peppers are what as know as a bishop's crown. They are part of the habanero family but they are not as hot as say your orange habs or fatalli type hab peppers. I believe they originated in barbados.

fatalliman said:
how much heat is there? what market and where is the region did you get them from?
ML

I think these habaneros were grown in greenhouses in holland/europe. The taste was very fruity, but there was not much heat at all. I used them in spaghetti sauce and the heat was about the same that I get when I add some tabasco sauce.

Back