• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these Pepper Plants dead?

Well after the horrible fungus that overtook the soil in the pots, and I went bananas with a fungicide flush, the poor babies really are having a hard time.  I cut off the majority of their leaves to help them use what little energy they have left to try and use it to recover instead of maintaining the deflated leaves.  

I started with a massive fungus outbreak and I went nuclear, I went overboard basically, first day Hydrogen peroxide and apple cider vinegar; the very next day baking soda powder/water and fresh brewed (cooled off) chamomile tea.  I use a ton of each of these ingredients.  I am sure I altered the PH of the soil especially after the baking soda yesterday (2 heaping tables spoons and one liter water- used about half that bottle on all 4 containers.  Finally I topped it all off with Neem oil spray saturated the plants and soil with it.

Anyways, since I cut most the leaves off and it is primarily just the stem, however the stem is strong and when I cut the leaves off it was still green inside.  The stems are still wood/green.  

Do these peppers have any chance of recovering from where they are right now?  Or should I just move on 3.5 months down the drain?  Should I leave them under the lights 24/7 now to speed up recovery?

http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/20151128_212627_zpspszkep65.jpg.html

Thanks

16/8 , plants need to sleep also . its early yet , i'd throw them out and start a new ,  doing what i suggested in our conversation . you've got more work into those poor few plants than i had in all of my grow this year . is that still the moisture control potting soil ?

ya I didnt bring up that pic because that was not one of these plants, I figured it was damping off for that plant
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
moruga welder said:
16/8 , plants need to sleep also . its early yet , i'd throw them out and start a new ,  doing what i suggested in our conversation . you've got more work into those poor few plants than i had in all of my grow this year . is that still the moisture control potting soil ?
I am trying to sprout a couple new ones but for some reason even with a heating pad, I am not having much luck in getting the seeds to sprout.  I figure I might as well keep these plants around and see if they pull through as I have nothing else to take their place yet.  I tried having them (seeds) sit in hydrogen peroxide overnight then putting them in damp paper towels on a heating mat, and no luck, in fact, some of the seeds starting getting mold on them.  Tried it for like 3 weeks, no luck so I am trying one last time now in small plastic condiment cups with a small hole in the bottom inside a second condiment cup with a ziplock baggie over each one on a heating tray.  Do they need to be under grow lights to sprout?  because mine are not.

Thanks for the advice

Also can I use 91% rubbing alcohol in place of bleach for cleaning?  are they interchangeable?

Big Kahuna said:
I'd give them a 50% chance of survival. My guess is the roots are probably rotten after all of the water you've dumped on them. You might be better off just starting from scratch.
I believe what killed off the leaves was the PH changes.  I started with apple cider vinegar the first day and then baking soda the next, so the radical shifts in PH I think is what did the damage to the leaves

I believe what killed your plants was over eagerness to help and tend.

I've been there so don't think I'm berating you at all.

What I've found works for me is that when I have a problem I ask members that I know and trust. And then give it time when I apply changes.

You can let those ride on a different time schedule and still sprout babies.

I got faith that this next batch will be just fine.

Good luck!!

over nannying is definitely your problem and has been all along.  Dont pull leaves, when a leaf uses more energy than it produces the plant will drop them on its own. There have been studies that suggest plants actually do most of their growing at night so keep them on a 14-16hr day cycle. I start my peppers in feburay and  Im in zone 6b-7.  You have plenty of time to start anew and the timing will be better for transplanting outside (big plants dont recover from transplant as quickly as smaller ones). You didnt waste the last 3.5 months, hopefully you learned what not to do and will be more successful next time.  My first season I planted my plants in what amounted to fertilizer because I didnt read the label carefully.  The only thing that did well was the oregano which is still alive today. We all have to start somewhere and its usually the bottom. ;)

Well here is the final update pic of my once beautiful plants, I put some sand on the surface, I had to cut the sister plants in the white bucket down to almost sand level due to them turning black towards the upper portion of the stem.  When I took the cut off pieces, it was still green inside, but for lack of better description, they looked "soggy" like asparagus in a can of something.

Do any of these plants have a shot?

http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/20151129_181312_zps99tx3len.jpg.html

willard3 said:
Homey don't click no links; post a picture.
every time i try the dumb azz website says error ive tried numerous times.

the plants are all dead and in the dumpster now anyways, and the apartment smells like dead plant and fungus soil

Northpole69 said:
every time i try the dumb azz website says error ive tried numerous times.

the plants are all dead and in the dumpster now anyways, and the apartment smells like dead plant and fungus soil
i use photobucket.  no worries, again we all start at the bottom at least they were plants and not puppies! :rofl:

I think that was the right move. I don't know if I looked at the right pics originally, the latest ones looked bad. Best to start fresh and get it right aka they leave them alone

Back