• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these plants dead?

After trying to transition these plants from indoors to outdoors, I think I killed them... what do you think? Should I dump these and start over? i hate to see these not make it but I'm wondering how they'll do later on even if I can get them back to normal. Thoughts?

IMG_20140527_180742_zpshvpnxy2i.jpg

I've been watering every day, I moved them into the shade this morning when they looked like that.

I'll keep them in the shade and 2x the water. 

Thanks.

black pots in florida sun w/ plants that have been indoors, probably jusem you might consider repotting them shortly after they recover if they are drying out to fast could be too much heat or not a big enough pot,just my $.02, but like everyone said don't play taps for them just yet, just shade and water 

What are your temperatures like? You want to be careful with the watering - in spite of the heat you can still manage to overwater them. I agree with the above - give them more shade and they should recover. 

Also, when you water, are you thoroughly drenching them until water runs freely out of the drain holes? If not, switch to that approach.

I think the black pots might have something to do with it. Sunday-Monday when they did this it was around 90-95. 

I really can't afford to put them in bigger pots space wise (apartment), so I hope these will do. If I do upgrade the pot I'd most likely only be able to do it with a few of the most promising plants.

hottoddy said:
Looks like heat wilt or dehydration. Water them really well and keep them in the shade for a bit - they should bounce back, sometimes in a matter of hours.

leaves start drooping when they dont have enough water. Most peppers can go without water for a fair amount of time, depending on how hot it is

Going on day 3. They look the same, maybe a little darker. They're in the shade with more water. 1 more day with no improvements I may transplant them into the yard and start 2 new ones. Sad. Thoughts?
Will this effect the pepper output?

Sounds like the sun cooked their roots.
Continue therapy until all hope is gone, but don't count on a miracle.

Here in Hell Southern Arizona, I'm finding fabric pots (the dreaded WallyBags) do very good things for soil temperatures.  They're not full-noon-sun resistant, but with the plants in mid-day partial shade, the evaporative cooling drops temps 10~15f below ambient.  The WB are rather huge - you might look for some smaller grow-bags - any fabric that breathes well should work.

Mine did that as well, I ended up cutting all the leaves off, and putting them in half sun. New leaves are starting to grow, I think they will be fine.

Florida heat just sucks. My plants will droop in the day and as it cools off at night they perk back up. However, right now it's horrid here. I have the plants shaded and don't allow them to have that much direct sun. It just looks like they got wilted because of the heat. REmember we had almost record temps last week. :) 

I'm in south FL. I have my plants in light, almost white pots. They do sometimes wilt in the sun, but only get direct sun on them here till about 1pm. After that they perk back up. I water them once a week or so. Sometimes, when they don't rebound after the sun is no longer on them I'll water them again. By the looks of it, if you do replant them into light colored pots and give them ample water (without over watering them) they should recover.

I will post new pictures when I get home but they still look the same. Maybe a little more wilted and maybe a little darker.

They had plenty of water. I water them a little every day as I walk out my door for work. I increased the water for these 2 plants when they wilted.

@Geonerd - I'm also wondering about the roots. If they got fried, are these plants done? Should I clip some leaves off? 

Most of my remaining plants seem to be doing good.

I'm no plant doctor, but the fact that they aren't recovering makes me think the roots are too damaged to do their job.  Keep the things moist and in the shade and hope for a miracle...

In the meantime, I'd get some seeds in the ground ASAP, and/or start looking for new plants.
The good thing about warm weather is that newly germinated seeds grow quite a bit faster than they did back in March.  Of course you'll never catch up, but you may not be as far behind as you'd think.  And with the growing season running 'till November, you'll have little trouble growing chilies this year. 

+1 on possible root damage.  Get them plants a source of Mycos and rhizos!  An AACT drench would probably help a lot, or get some Kangaroots or Bushdoctor

Back