• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Are these real habs ?

Hi all,

a friend of mine gave me those yesterday, he grew them from plants he bought in a gardening shop, they're supposed to be Habanero.

The heat matches with habs.

What do you think it is ?

My guess is Paper Lantern Habanero.

Habanero is such a big label.  It does look paper lantern.  Someone told me one of the rules for habanero is that it has a smooth skin.  Thing is, devils tongue is habanero and many list fatalii as a habanero.  I think Scotch Bonnet is habanero, maybe goat pepper too.  Not sure on goat.

Anyway, I think what happens is people buy seed and plants which say the exact variety, but they forget the exact variety and just read habanero.  It is kind of fun cause you can have a super hot variety, honestly say a thing is habanero, feed it to a friend and watch their face explode. 

I personally don't think these are paper lanterns. The color and look is a bit different. Paper lanterns are thin walled; I could be wrong, but these look more thicker. You can place paper lanterns up to the light and they have an almost translucent look to them especially if cut in two, and the color is brighter. It is probably some sort of hab though. Have you tried one of them yet? Does it taste like a hab? 

Thanks to all of you for the replies,

AaronTT said:
I personally don't think these are paper lanterns. The color and look is a bit different. Paper lanterns are thin walled; I could be wrong, but these look more thicker. You can place paper lanterns up to the light and they have an almost translucent look to them especially if cut in two, and the color is brighter. It is probably some sort of hab though. Have you tried one of them yet? Does it taste like a hab? 
Yes, they taste like habs, I tryied to place one up to the light like you said, I could see the light through it, I cut one in half the wall is really thin.
By the way there are not so much seeds in it.

charlesquik said:
they do look like habanero like other say but omygod I love your avatar picture

Ill just leave it here.. lol
Great video I didn't know it, but I always knew pingu was a twisted mind :dance:   :P .
Noot noot.

pingu83 said:
Thanks to all of you for the replies,

Yes, they taste like habs, I tryied to place one up to the light like you said, I could see the light through it, I cut one in half the wall is really thin.
By the way there are not so much seeds in it.

Great video I didn't know it, but I always knew pingu was a twisted mind :dance:   :P .
Noot noot.
I could be wrong and perhaps it is, but all of them I have seen were a brighter color red, and very glossy. Having said that, in my opinion a paper lantern is not even a habanero, as it does not taste anything like one. I believe it gets that name because it has habanero like pods. The paper lantern habanero is one of my favorite tasting pods, as its pretty unique. There are a lot of thin walled habs out there as well that it might be. Well, whatever it may be, it looks delicious.

FROG DOG said:
those look like the tabago seasoning pods i grew
Like FROG DOG says, its does look like a seasoning pepper. This was my first thought, as it looks just like the Vincentian seasoning pepper, and others like the Tobago.

Back