• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these safe?

So a buddy of mine takes a one gallon plastic used mayonnaise jar, fills it up with mixed fresh peppers, heats up cider vinegar and pickling spices, pours that over the peppers, puts on the lid and sits them on the counter. Says he can't wait to eat them. My thought is they are potentially not safe, and shouldn't be eaten. What do you guys think?

Google some recipes - like brined pickles, refrigerator pickles..... different recipes have different lengths of time on them. Generally, though, I'd only keep them in the fridge about two weeks. If your friend had used proper canning equipment and process, though, they'd last longer than that. A lot longer. 

geeme said:
Google some recipes - like brined pickles, refrigerator pickles..... different recipes have different lengths of time on them. Generally, though, I'd only keep them in the fridge about two weeks. If your friend had used proper canning equipment and process, though, they'd last longer than that. A lot longer. 
This is what made me say no

"one gallon plastic used mayonnaise jar," " puts on the lid and sits them on the counter."
jakester said:
If they would be in the fridge, how long do you think they would be OK?
If done properly I have had them in the fridge for 6 months, truly canned I have had for years on the shelf

Plastic is a definite no no, and depending on the vinegar ratio means allot

You can get by with sterile mason jars and lids, pour the boiling water/vinegar over the peppers, close lids and turn upside downto seal the lid, then refrigerate, this is third only after pressure canning, and water bath canning

I'm not sure why you guys are saying that what's being described is unsafe.....pure cider vinegar should create a more than acidic enough an environment to prevent any harmful bacteria from growing....hell, people have been doing this for thousands of years to preserve food.  How is it any different than the thousands of gallons of pepper mash we've all got sitting around?

EBHarvey said:
I'm not sure why you guys are saying that what's being described is unsafe.....pure cider vinegar should create a more than acidic enough an environment to prevent
any harmful bacteria from growing....hell, people have been doing this for thousands of years to preserve food.  How is it any different than the thousands of gallons of pepper mash we've all got sitting around?
Thanks I was wondering why no one mentioned a ph level oh me

Isn't the mash cooked and processed before bottling? I'm definitely confused. Plastic is air permeable, so it's probably not good. There seems to be no real consensus about this. Are refrigerator pickles truly safe?

With all due respect guys, what do pickles have to do with this?  Pickles are preserved through brining with maybe a little vinegar added for flavor.  This guy is dumping pure cider vinegar over his peppers - refrigerated, warm, plastic or glass.....it doesn't matter, ain't nothing gonna grow in there.

EBHarvey said:
With all due respect guys, what do pickles have to do with this?  Pickles are preserved through brining with maybe a little vinegar added for flavor.  This guy is dumping pure cider vinegar over his peppers - refrigerated, warm, plastic or glass.....it doesn't matter, ain't nothing gonna grow in there.
The site I posted is about a lot more than pickles, we can all agree to disagree but only one person in this thread has the option of eating them regardless. 

I wouldn't eat it, but people eat fermented milk with molds growing all over, this seem to be less offensive than some cheese.

ZenPepper said:
I wouldn't eat it, but people eat fermented milk with molds growing all over, this seem to be less offensive than some cheese.

The difference there is that the molds and bacteria that are involved in the cheese making process are introduced on purpose in a controlled environment to ensure that those are the only ones able to proliferate.  What was described above doesn't allow for that fine grained of control and who knows which bacteria/mold are already present.  Nothing was said about proper sterilization of the equipment.  And making a mash is very similar to making cheese in that you introduce lactobacillus into an environment that greatly favors it so it will outcompete any nasties that may be present.

compmodder26 said:

The difference there is that the molds and bacteria that are involved in the cheese making process are introduced on purpose in a controlled environment to ensure that those are the only ones able to proliferate.  What was described above doesn't allow for that fine grained of control and who knows which bacteria/mold are already present.  Nothing was said about proper sterilization of the equipment.  And making a mash is very similar to making cheese in that you introduce lactobacillus into an environment that greatly favors it so it will outcompete any nasties that may be present.
Yeah, But I wouldn't eat either of those, but my point is it probably wont kill u

:snooty:  I'm not goona eat one "prepared" that way.

Do as thou wilst, but if you have to ask "is it safe?" you prolly already guessed your answer.

But then, what hot pepper is ever truly "safe" to eat?. :fireball:

Thanks for all your input, guys!  I'm not going to try them...it's not worth it. After all, I can hurt myself with my own stuff.

I think he is just asking for trouble using the mayo.... it has egg in it which is an excellent medium for all kinds of nasty growths... even with the acidity of the vinegar.
Any of you ever seen mold grow in a jar of pickled jalapeno rings???  I sure have... figured it was some pretty nasty stuff...... I was tempted to go grab some long handled pliers to handle it with..  (LOL)  but I survived the incident unharmed... (except for not having any rings to put on my tacos... (sob...)

However... minus the mayo.... ever hear of a "pickle barrel"???

Or, the famous (around these parts anyhow...) Red Wing Crocks?
http://www.redwingcollectors.org/category/ask_the_experts/stoneware

This link shows all kinds of products they made, from water cooling containers to the crocks which could be used to make pickles, sauerkraut, and store all other sorts of food items..   Many times sealed with nothing more than a wooden top.   

jba

Back