• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are they dying?

Hello all!!

I had some yellow 7's last year, towards the end of the season, and I threw some of the seeds into a pot and let them go. Soon enough, I had little sprouts, and in time, they kept on growing.

I brought the pot (in the form of a boot) into work and kept it under the florescents non stop, and it did very well. I'd water it every few days, and it seemed like it might need a bigger home. Last week I repotted it, and I am now afraid I hurt it.....the under (lower) leaves and turning a bit yellow, though still green, although the upper most leaves are still a nice, vivid green. I'm going to try and figure out how to attach two pictures, and can anyone help me figure out if I shocked them, or if this is natural (ie: under leaves dying off)?

Thanks! I'm kind of excited that I have my FIRST EVER pepper plant from seeds that I just threw in a pot, so I want it to make it!!!

p.s. can someone tell me how I can put a photo on here?

Thanks!

You need to post your photos to a hosting service like photobucket.
There are lots of different ones. Once you have a photo uploaded to their site,
you can copy a link to it that you paste into your post after clicking on the image
icon at the top of the editor. At least that's how I do it with my MacBook.
Good luck getting your photos posted.

Make a photobucket account (or similar site) paste the [IM G].......[/IM G] tag here. Wallah

Edit: had to put a space in tag....

Or....
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14109-posting-pictures/

I'm going to let a more experienced grower answer your plant question, but I can tell you how to post images.

1.Get a free account on a photo sharing site, I like photobucket.com
2. Upload a photo to photobucket
3. on photobucket, copy the "IMG code" for your picture and paste it into your message.

Haha, as I write this, two others have already replied. Cheers!

As for the plant, without seeing it, I am guessing you just shocked it. Give it water and light and it should be fine.

Okay, I think I found the way to upload these....so here we go...

2011-10-13144320.jpg

And the most recent....

2012-02-14121304.jpg

FIFY

Looks fine to me with just some transplant shock.

Thanks Brian!

So transplant shock won't kill them?

There are several "stems" to the plant, which I am guessing are technically individual plants. I really cannot wait to (iA) get some peppers from it.

Can peppers grow on it if it stays in a pot? We just dug out our entire backyard, and I am not sure where I'd have a spot to actually PLANT a pepper plant, although I'm sure I can find something if they do need to go in the ground. Also, how do you test the soil? I did put three pennies in my pot, although I dug down and took them out, thinking they were killing the plant. I have, thank God, pretty good luck with my plants at home and work, but I'm afraid if I want this really bad, I may over-worry and kill it.

Thanks all!

Your plants look ok except they appear to yellowing which can be casued by a few things such has over watering, or city chlorinated water, or lack of nitrogen. Don't worry about leaves as long as there's a couple of them at this point. Yes you'll get a few pods, but in a smaller container your plant will not grow to it's full potential.

Sorry, I've been MIA.

The plant(s) are....ummmm....happy?? They are taking off like crazy and I'm wondering when I should next repot them, and if so, how many times can they go through that? Our yard is going to be a little iffy this year (re-doing the whole back yard), so I'm planning on keeping them in a pot. I have seen on the Hippy Seed Company's vids that many of Neil's plants are in pots, so I know it's definitely possible. Anyhoo, here they are as of today.....sorry it's so huge, I'm not sure how to make them smaller.

2012-03-06134137-1.jpg

Looking good Barb.
Huge pictures are the normal thing here and we like them. :)
When you transplant, a dip in water for the roots before going in the new home helps to reduce shock.

if you haven't fed it, give it something to eat...the yellowing lower leaves have cleared up for you and that's good...however, plants shed their lower leaves as the season goes on so don't be worried about a couple of lower leaves being yellow...the first photo you put up just screamed "FEED ME"...JMHO

Back