• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are they supposed to grow this slowly

Thanks millworkman, good to know. But hey, look at this:

Could that be new growth?
f955ec85.jpg

I think it is.
1451c560.jpg

The Aji looked like it had dies last night but this morning I found this:
2e7e9322.jpg

So I moved the rest of the cups out to the back porch and we'll see what happens with them. Mean while back at the ranch,
I started germinating some Trinidad Congo's, Fatali, Cayenne, Scotch Bonnet and a Jalapeno that has no heat to it. Now, if teh Florida weather just holds out I might get some nice winter peppers, or not but they'll be good and ready for next season.

Cheers,
RM

Goot luck, I would look for pots with more drainage too. I find the solo cups aren't too good unless ya take a soldering iron and burn enough holes to let some of the water out and more air in... Start a congo for me please...

I agree with SS. If you are going to use the solo cups, I do, be sure to poke a good number of holes for draining/air. Each cup I normally have 25-30 holes that are mostly in the bottom and some that are on the side of the cup just above the bottom. The soil looks really damp in the cups you have now. You can take an ice pick, a nail, or anything sharp enough to poke holes in the cup even now. The plants are still have very small root structures at that size so there will be no chance of hitting the plant. Hell I've taken a drill to some of my 5 gal pots with mature plants in there with no issue.

-J

Florida seasons are different from the rest of the country we have 2 more months of heat then intermittent cold. Most of our produce is grown to supply the North with fresh produce during the winter months.

I would fill up a bit more dirt so the seedling get more light, also next time plant 3-5 seeds per cup some are slow growers save the one(s) that grow fast and get ridd of the rest.
Also be careful with the over watering its so easy to stall seedlings.
But they do have a nice color on the leaf so my tip is more light and less water.
//Oscar

Thanks Oscar, I have adjusted to that exact prescription. I'll be checking the dryness of the soil from now on before watering and have them in a good location to allow for direct morning light and indirect afternoon light and they seem to be reacting very well the the changes.

I guess I was over watering cause since I've backed off on it I've gotten this.

38ecf6ee.jpg

And the aji is coming along only slower

What sort of night temps to you get? Mine stall if I try to harden them off too quickly (when they are bigger) and put them out when it gets too cold at night.

Flakes
Yep, I checked the soil and it was dry so I had just watered. Frist time in 3 or 4 days.

Megamoo,
Temps here in Orlando have been High's in upper 80's (like 26 to 32 degrees C) and lows in the mid 70's (like 22 to 25 degrees C) it was 75 (23 degrees C) when I left for work at 6:15 this morning. Florida has a great extended growing period which is why I started these as late as I did.

Cheers,
RM

i germinated in solo cups, i poked lots of holes, and what i did was mixed a very diluted fert mix with some hydrogen peroxide in a gallon container then pour it into a spray bottle and use the spray bottle to spray the soil so i can regulate how wet the soil is much better! as the little guys get bigger and the roots grow deeper then i will start watering more deeply, but i have learned the hard way about over watering, that is why i use the spray bottle at first and my little guys right now are fully hardened off and they only have 2 sets of leaves with a 3rd starting to come in! good luck!

Eric

After cutting way back on watering and moving them outside where thaty get about an hour or 2 of direct morning sun and indirect sun the rest of the day, these guys are starting to grow.

Caribbean Red Habanero
14e6f94b.jpg

Aji Lemon
8df5d11d.jpg

and warming up in the bull pen (Fatali, Scotch Bonnet, Trinidad Congo, Jalapeno with no heat, Cayenne, Bell)
456c1423.jpg

Started germinating a wek and a half ago and thry're going into the dirt today.

Cheers,
RM

Nice selection those "congo's and bonnets" are some great tasting peppers , How many more months can you grow outdoors in Orlando?
We take a trip to Ft Meyers every November and its pretty warm then...

Really there are bit that many nights a year that er have to cover it bring in our plants. It's a pretty extended season.

Back