• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Are You Ready For Some...

I never really trust forecasters to get it right but I will not blame them if they miss this one a bit. We are on the edge of a couple of fronts. Right now, it looks like we are suppose to get about 1/4" of freezing rain/ice, followed by maybe rain or freezing rain, then an inch of snow. Wind gusts up to 35 mph. Most communities are either out or very low on salt. If the front moves north or south a couple of miles, we could get mostly rain or as much as an inch of ice.

It would be a misnomer to call this the Winter from Hell, as it has been far too cold. But it has been one of the wettest and coldest ones in 30 years.

Mike

Ha, we are preparing for a State of Emergency in St. Louis. The wintry mix has started, apparently we've got three fronts combining to start hitting us, oh, now, and lasting through till Wednesday night. Its the Icepocolypse! Icemagedon! :rofl: we've lived through worse. some people will lose power, maybe for a week. But most folk will be back to business as usual by Thursday. St. Louis creates such drama over the weather. Of course, there are enough people who think nothing can stop them because they have an SUV or a truck, and go out and drive normally and get themselves crashed up.

But I stocked up on the Eggs and bread and milk, becuase, apparently, if you are snow and ice bound, you must fortify yourself with french toast. Ya'll be careful out there. Stay warm!

Ha, we are preparing for a State of Emergency in St. Louis. The wintry mix has started, apparently we've got three fronts combining to start hitting us, oh, now, and lasting through till Wednesday night. Its the Icepocolypse! Icemagedon! :rofl: we've lived through worse. some people will lose power, maybe for a week. But most folk will be back to business as usual by Thursday. St. Louis creates such drama over the weather. Of course, there are enough people who think nothing can stop them because they have an SUV or a truck, and go out and drive normally and get themselves crashed up.

But I stocked up on the Eggs and bread and milk, becuase, apparently, if you are snow and ice bound, you must fortify yourself with french toast. Ya'll be careful out there. Stay warm!

I think the winter of '90 in StL was pretty bad. The ground was frozen like 3' down and work on the chapel at Concordia Seminary was halted for months. OTOH, I met my wife at Westport at the first Lutheran Student Fellowship then.

Man, you folks are getting hammered in the midwest and east coast this winter. That really sucks, been a long time since I grew up in the snow country. I kinda miss the snow but just KINDA :whistle:

I think the winter of '90 in StL was pretty bad. The ground was frozen like 3' down and work on the chapel at Concordia Seminary was halted for months. OTOH, I met my wife at Westport at the first Lutheran Student Fellowship then.
I doubt our ground is frozen more than maybe a foot, despite this being one of the coldest winters (average temp wise) in decades. Mostly because the ground has been pretty much covered with a snow blanket most the the season.

Mike

I just watched the forecast and they are talking about 4 inches of snow tonight followed by ice tomorrow and Wednesday. Enough that we will be measuring it in INCHES! Worst of all, I am out of beer.

the storm hitting us today is about anywhere 2" - 8" of snow nothing major, MI is supposed to get this storm & should be around 2' then to the east coast.

to me this is what winter should be, its back to a normal winter & this year is not even bad IMO

I don't mind a little snow, but I'm running out of places to put it. I can only shovel it to one side of my driveway because the other side is an alley. The snow bank on my yard side is about 7 feet high. It also makes driving on the lakes a pain in the arse. We only got about 4 or 5 inches since yesterday though.

Good luck to all of you and keep it safe. We would get up to 20 inches of snow by the end of this storm but this season we got it all, from rain,freezing rain and a LOT of snow. If somebody need some snow and cold let me know. I would gladly ship it. :lol: It was -8 F this morning with windchill God only knows how low. :eek:

The streets are white with sleet. The blizzard is coming, with whiteout conditions. Our biggest concern is power lines going down. I'm looking at a maple tree, heavy with ice, leaning towards my front window.

In other news, Queensland is about to float away completely. We are certainly living in interesting times.

The streets are white with sleet. The blizzard is coming, with whiteout conditions. Our biggest concern is power lines going down. I'm looking at a maple tree, heavy with ice, leaning towards my front window.

In other news, Queensland is about to float away completely. We are certainly living in interesting times.

Really, we didn't get much ice here, thank God! But I can't see across the way to the opposite hill right now.

Been thinking about you guys back there while watching the Weather Channel. Be Safe and Stay Warm.

I've heard that putting chile powder in your sock will keep your feet warm. Or any other place where a little extra heat would be needed for that matter ;) (no more cold bunz) :lol:

We missed this bullet! The windshield and sidewalks had a thin coating of ice but the roads here (about 8 miles from the river and in a valley) were okay. To the north and west, much worse, with maybe 1/4" of ice. The temps stayed at freezing (32) instead of 30 or things would have been much worse.

Sooner or later, we will be in the bull's eye.

Mike

really mixed around Saint Louis. Huighway 70 shut down from Wentzville (the edge of civilization) to KC. I think I have no more than two inches, if that, mixed frozen rain, sleet, and snow. I'm going out now to see if I can get the car out of the ice.

We got hit hard in KC. About a foot of blowing, drifting snow and really cold temps, but the sun is out today, and the snow plows have been busy, so things are looking up :) The worst part: I bought all the ingredients to make some poppers and a batch of chile Monday night. I got the chile made, but stuck my car in a snow drift yesterday afternoon leaving work and could not make it home. No chile, no poppers. :( But I will probably get to have both tonight! :woohoo:

I think we got about 16" here at the Lake. Going to try to start digging out once my hair drys. That that I will be able to go anywhere after that.

14 inches of snow, 25 mph sustainable winds, 40 mph gusts in northern illinois. interstates closed, city declared state of emergency. 4 - 6 foot drifts. temperatures falling below zero tonight. it really sucks.

Only a couple inches of additional snow and about a 1/2" of ice on everything over here. Hope everyone affected by this storm stays safe and warm.

DAN

Well, we're still getting it. It has been snowing here in Vermont since early morning. By now we got 10+ inches and by the time is all set we could see up to 20 inchesh of fresh powder on the ground. I bet that a lot of vermonters cant wait to hit slopes this weekend. :lol:

Here are some new pics that I got from my friends to share with you :

I 89 this morning

bilde10.jpg

The best way to go to work :lol:

bilde5.jpg

Hard to believe, no cars on streets :lol:

bildej.jpg

Back