• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Article says STOP refrigerating hot sauce you're ruining it!

I've had some fruit-based sauces go skunk even in the refer.  Follow manufactures recommendations~ 

BTW, I don't think Tabasaco, Tapatio, Valentino's and a few other national brands say "Refr after Opening" on the label.  Good to go for the lunch room, cafeteria,  mercado, taco wagon....... :)

salsalady said:
I've had some fruit-based sauces go skunk even in the refer.  Follow manufactures recommendations~ 

If people took your advise they'd be eating cold ketchup and hot sauce. No!

PepperLover said:
Some hot sauce brands actually ask you to keep it in the fridge after opening!
We keep the Tabasco sauce out and it seems to be getting more delicious as it ages 
Oh you haven't lived until you have had the single serving Tabasco from an MRE while sitting in the Afghanistan desert...talk about nice and aged...;)

I have always found this true with chocolate. It always seems to be sweeter and more flavourful at room temperature.

I keep my sauces in the fridge until just before use. Then take it out of the fridge to warm up a little.

"There's a popular legend suggesting the presence of the pit prevents browning, so if you only use half of an avocado, be sure to reserve the side with the pit."

Wrong. The only part of the avocado that doesn't spoil quickly is the part under the pit since it's not exposed to air. Wrap it with Saran or Handy wrap (pit in is fine) to help slow down the darkening. In the case of guacamole, push the wrap down into your container until it's in direct contact with the guacamole, and it will last days longer (in the fridge) before darkening. Helps maintain the fresh flavor too.

Salad Dressings -  I've read before you really don't need to refrigerate Mayo, but I don't care, the thought just grosses me out. Besides, it "May affect flavor" and I like cold mayo and Miracle Whip just fine thank you.

I just tried letting my favorite sauce warm up on crackers (bottle back into the fridge) before trying it out. Only difference I noticed was delayed gratification. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

If people took your advise they'd be eating cold ketchup and hot sauce. No!

Flavor-wise, I'm sure catsup and hot sauces "bloom" at room temp. 
Food-safety-wise- follow manufacturer's suggestion.
Nothing wrong with bringing it up to temp before using by immersing the bottle in a bit of hot water, or using a heated plate for the food and splooging the sauce onto the plate where it will warm, or just letting the hot food warm it up, or put a bit in a ramekin and nuke it for 5 seconds.....

Heinz 57 catsup says "for best results, refrigerate after opening"
Tabasco Buffalo, La Victoria Red Taco Sauce, Helen's Tropical Exotics (from Florida) Island Heat do not say refrigerate.

To each there own, as long as folks understand there may be a risk in leaving some sauces out at room temp.  Just having vinegar as an ingredient does not keep nasties from growing.  Tabasco, catsup, Valentino's, HuyFong... most of those have survived the test of time being left un-refrigerated for years and most would consider them safe to leave out.  But all the other new hot sauces, I wouldn't trust them out on the counter long term. 

mecdave- I think there was a study done about 20 years ago about potato salad food poisoning at family picnics and they found it was the potatoes that would spoil, not the mayo.  I also read a true story where a baked potato was left out on the counter after dinner, and the next day a teenage boy came home from school and ate the potato.  He got deathly ill, was in the hospital for quite a while and ended up with severe brain damage.  From a baked potato...... 
Anyway, room temp mayo grosses me out, too.  I don't even like it on an egg-mcmuffin or grilled sammies.  But that's a whole other topic~~~  :lol:

Live a little and enjoy your food.

always do!

I test every batch of sauce I make so that it has the correct Ph and will be shelf stable at room temperature. However I keep all my sauces in the fridge for the life of the sauce, and tell everyone that gets a bottle to do the same.

It's cheap insurance.......

I always open my Tabasco(all flavors) and let it breath a day or three before use,after a week or two it starts to darken and the flavor
is much more pronounced and yet mellower.
Done it for decades and never an issue or worry about any nasty stuff.
Other "keep cold" sauces also sit in the fridge a few days with the top off 

Back