• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Assassin bugs

I received a catalog from an organic solutions retailer advertising they now sold assassin bugs as beneficial insects. Anyone have any experience with these? and what conditions did you use them in and what were the pros and cons if any.

They are winged and like any other winged bug they are somewhat difficult to keep around. They are good to have around but they mostly go after larger prey like other beetles and winged insects. A more ideal beneficial bug would be lacewing larvae or ladybugs as far as I know. Predatory mites and parasitic wasps are great too. It mainly depends on the pest or pests you need to get rid of

megahot said:
They are winged and like any other winged bug they are somewhat difficult to keep around. They are good to have around but they mostly go after larger prey like other beetles and winged insects. A more ideal beneficial bug would be lacewing larvae or ladybugs as far as I know. Predatory mites and parasitic wasps are great too. It mainly depends on the pest or pests you need to get rid of
Ladybugs are winged and are prone to do the same thing. the only saving grace of ladybugs is they tend to lay eggs if around for any significant period of time. Then of course you gain the benefit of the ladybug larvae, which are 10x better than their adult counterparts. My experience with green lace wings is very low hatch rates and no significant impact on pests.

FYI. the pest in question would be aphids.

predatory wasps and mites are very expensive as far as what I have been able to find.

Im aware that ladybugs are winged. The reason I said ladybugs is because they eat lots of the most common pest (aphids) as well as other soft bodied pests. Best of kuck to ya.

I think I am going to have to try these(the assassin bugs). more expensive then ladybugs (500 eggs for 50.00) but lady bugs just do cut it for as long as they should. 500 eggs coverage area is 2000-3000 sq ft. For a 100 sq ft room, I think that would be equivalent to storming a log cabin with a battalion.

megahot said:
The assassin bugs are definitely a better option, just be warned that the bite is supposedly very bad, it won't put you in the hospital it just hurts. But they eat almost anything even things much bigger than them.

Wheel bugs (Arilus cristatus) are excellent predators, and I watched their nymphs walk from aphid to aphid and just jab them with their needle mouth over and over again.  When they're fully grown they eat everything from Japanese beetles to caterpillars...unfortunately they're at the top of the food chain and will also eat other predators like lady bugs, wasps, and mantids.  Most of what I saw them eating was beetles and other "bugs" like squash bugs and stink bugs.

nearday said:
The assassin bugs are definitely a better option, just be warned that the bite is supposedly very bad, it won't put you in the hospital it just hurts. But they eat almost anything even things much bigger than them.
Yes, I read that they bite. So ...what about the smaller pests such as white flies, thrips, mites, aphids etc. As far as I know the assassin bug wont touch these very small bugs that are a big problem for plants. So what would be the treatment for them? Also, the assassin bugs could potentially keep other good bugs away, like the ladybug

megahot said:
Yes, I read that they bite. So ...what about the smaller pests such as white flies, thrips, mites, aphids etc. As far as I know the assassin bug wont touch these very small bugs that are a big problem for plants. So what would be the treatment for them? Also, the assassin bugs could potentially keep other good bugs away, like the ladybug
Oh I thought he was trying to get rid of bigger bugs. If he is trying to get rid of those small bugs he should get something like ladybugs.

nearday said:
Now that may be a concern!

ikeepfish said:
Wheel bugs (Arilus cristatus) are excellent predators, and I watched their nymphs walk from aphid to aphid and just jab them with their needle mouth over and over again.  When they're fully grown they eat everything from Japanese beetles to caterpillars...unfortunately they're at the top of the food chain and will also eat other predators like lady bugs, wasps, and mantids.  Most of what I saw them eating was beetles and other "bugs" like squash bugs and stink bugs.
Unfortunately I have never seen these offered.

megahot said:
These smaller pests are what the assassin bugs are being offered to eliminate.

In an indoor environment I have found green lacewings work fairly well against aphids. I had four 1000 watt lights illuminating a 16x16' growing table, and found that one introduction of the lacewings worked to control aphids for
years to come. There were enough that survived to keep the remaining aphids under control. I do have assassin bugs in the greenhouse which came in naturally. They have not been a problem biting me, but I also do not observe that they do much aphid control. In the greenhouse, I made one application of predatory wasps, and one of lacewings
years ago, and the aphids have stayed under control. There is usually about one week in early spring when I have a big aphid bloom. I've been tempted to apply other controls, but in another week or so the aphids are being consumed by the resident predators. I've never used any pesticides in the greenhouse, and don't anticipate doing so in the future. All the produce in the greenhouse should be safe to eat with just a wash to remove dust. I do grow a few
things like fennel to provide pollen for some of the predatory insects. I would be somewhat concerned about the
assassin bugs moving to areas other than where the plants are; they might not be appreciated in the house. I did
not have problems with the lacewings migrating. A shipment of lacewings is around $20 from Amazon, including
shipping. They might we worth considering.
Renais

Renais1 said:
In an indoor environment I have found green lacewings work fairly well against aphids. I had four 1000 watt lights illuminating a 16x16' growing table, and found that one introduction of the lacewings worked to control aphids for
years to come. There were enough that survived to keep the remaining aphids under control. I do have assassin bugs in the greenhouse which came in naturally. They have not been a problem biting me, but I also do not observe that they do much aphid control. In the greenhouse, I made one application of predatory wasps, and one of lacewings
years ago, and the aphids have stayed under control. There is usually about one week in early spring when I have a big aphid bloom. I've been tempted to apply other controls, but in another week or so the aphids are being consumed by the resident predators. I've never used any pesticides in the greenhouse, and don't anticipate doing so in the future. All the produce in the greenhouse should be safe to eat with just a wash to remove dust. I do grow a few
things like fennel to provide pollen for some of the predatory insects. I would be somewhat concerned about the
assassin bugs moving to areas other than where the plants are; they might not be appreciated in the house. I did
not have problems with the lacewings migrating. A shipment of lacewings is around $20 from Amazon, including
shipping. They might we worth considering.
Renais
I appreciate the reply. I have used green lacewings and the two applications I used did next to nothing. I am preparing to order 6 shipments of 1500 ladybugs ea over the next 6 weeks. I went online and the company that offered the assassin bugs did not list them on line.

I'm not a big fan of them after I noticed one season that one would keep coming back to the same plant, sit there until a bee came along, then stab it in mid-air.  Wasps on the other hand... gotta luv 'em for taking out worms though mostly on tomatoes and herbs instead of peppers.  Lady bugs have to be a favorite for getting rid of aphids.  Assassin bugs won't bother with aphids.

Back