• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Atropa belladonna and other wild Nightshades

There are lots of other plants that contain wickedly cool compounds that won't kill you. And can tell a great history.

Trichocereus peruvianus

P. Viridis

Or how about some of the more unique carnivorous plants?

Or medicinal fungi like turkey tails.

Endless possibilities that won't end up putting life at risk for whatever reason you're telling yourself makes it a good idea.

I love reptiles. Moreover I am really into all things venomous. I will never keep a venomous snake in my home, as cool as it would be I draw the line there. I got a boa instead. Still cool, and moderately forgiving if I mess up.

I say don't invite disaster. Just my opinion though!

LOL I'm not looking for psychedelic plants, I had plenty of those back in the day.  I don't even drink anymore.

I remember getting some cactus root one time that was brown and when you sliced it it turned deep blue and oxidized back to brown really quickly.  The most intense hallucinations I every had were from 30x salvia extracts from a head shop back when it was still legal here.  I've had some brutal hallucinations from eating plain old morning glory seeds too, we used to go out and pick pounds upon pounds of them back in the day  every harvest and mix them into milkshakes.

ikeepfish said:
LOL I'm not looking for psychedelic plants, I had plenty of those back in the day.  I don't even drink anymore.

I remember getting some cactus root one time that was brown and when you sliced it it turned deep blue and oxidized back to brown really quickly.  The most intense hallucinations I every had were from 30x salvia extracts from a head shop back when it was still legal here.  I've had some brutal hallucinations from eating plain old morning glory seeds too, we used to go out and pick pounds upon pounds of them back in the day  every harvest and mix them into milkshakes.
lol yea i had some fun back in the day as well, morning glory seed is used for lsd lol  
some of those plants in the links i posted are psychedelic but some are poisonous as well, and just because they are psychedelic doesnt mean you have to use them, some of them actually look good, the belladonna is nice as well though, honestly if its a plant you want and are willing to take all precautions then go for it, just be sure you know what your getting into, as for the others they can be very beautiful looking and yes they may get you high but at least they wont kill you unless you over dose on them. but like i said just cause they can get you high does not mean you have to, i am growing 4 types of peyote and it isnt to get high of the sheit either lol i think they are attractive cacti 

So, I finally figured out what my mystery solanum is,

USDA: SOCA3
Solanum carolinense
Carolina horsenettle.

listed in multiple states as a noxious weed and invasive to Canada.  Chances are you already have them ;)  It's even a prohibited plant in Arizona.  Anybody wanna some seeds? :D I have a foot tall one I'm "cultivating" that's got several light purple flowers on it right now. And lots of thorns.  Apparently they're toxic too...thorns, leaves, the "wild tomatoes" etc.

Perhaps the most interesting info I've found out about it is that it's a bug magnet XD.  It's a preferred vegetable of multiple species of beetles for some weird reason.  Companion plant?  Maybe some weeds are more useful than others...

lol id say send me some seeds, but i am all ready over run by thistle, and i dont think my government would like that lol, and i dont need any more spiky or noxious plants in my yard and for all i know its all ready around here lol

Grow henbane - it looks so much more awesome.

We get both over here in UK as Nigel has said. I see deadly nightshade occasionally out on he downs, but black henbane is a little more rare.

Henbane has awesome looking leaves and as it flowers it kind of snakes up, with stunning flowers.

Regarding deadly nightshade keeping the pests away? Well rabbits and other creatures seem to love feasting on it.

Some of my own pictures :)

Henbane looks pretty amazing!  Haha I was reading the wikipedia article on it and it said a celebrity chef recommended to eat it in salads and the magazine had to urgently send out letters telling subscribers it was highly toxic.

Do you actually cultivate it any or are those wild plants in the picture there?

ikeepfish said:
Henbane looks pretty amazing!  Haha I was reading the wikipedia article on it and it said a celebrity chef recommended to eat it in salads and the magazine had to urgently send out letters telling subscribers it was highly toxic.

Do you actually cultivate it any or are those wild plants in the picture there?
Those are wild plants. :)

I think i actually remember reading about that chef incident a couple of years back.. Though I'm not sure what it was he was meant to say.

Apparently they used to flavour beer with the seeds during the Middle Ages :D

scotchnaga85 said:
Those are wild plants. :)

I think i actually remember reading about that chef incident a couple of years back.. Though I'm not sure what it was he was meant to say.

Apparently they used to flavour beer with the seeds during the Middle Ages :D
They look really healthy for wild plants, I'm guessing the bugs leave them alone, huh?  Then again, nowhere in Europe has the amount of bugs we do here in the South XD.

The bugs and rabbits love deadly nightshade, I'm not sure though with the henbane. Usually when I see henbane, which is quite rare, it's around farmland.

I do have some bug riddled pictures I'll post later when I'm on the laptop :)

I've been to Central Florida in July.. the bugs are huge out there lol

Of course it's wild lol, so to is the plant I posted earlier with the henbane :D

It loves the chalky hills of Southern England - and the birds love the berries.

I found a massive patch of the S. carolinense out behind the garage and was able to get a good focused shot of one of the flowers.  They're just barely purple.

20140713_183223_zpsrdg8clvf.jpg

and also found this guy, not sure what it is at all, but I'm almost positive it isn't any kind of nightshade.  If anyone can ID this one.  I'm considering going out tomorrow and grabbing the two dried pods off of it tomorrow just to grow it and see what the flowers looked like

20140713_184313_zpszbup933y.jpg

ikeepfish said:
I've been looking for one for weeks and I think I finally found one.

Datura stramonium
20140714_200413_zpsalnmicb0.jpg
Datura & brugmansia are grown as garden plants over here, however datura occasionally pops up as an escaped weed on disturbed ground.

It's quite weird seeing a picture of wild datura growing.
A slightly more common nightshade weed are the Physalis species. :-)

Wild Jimsonweed is actually a little more rare than I realized, but was still able to find one growing next to some peas in the legume plot!  Even after searching the woodlines here for a few weeks and one is right there in with the food (wtf).  I'm now on the lookout for all kinds of nightshades because I'm sure there are far more than just two types of wild ones here.

I had an ex-girlfriend whose mother had the paper lantern things in her flower garden and I was fascinated by them because their foliage and leaf growth looks identical to a pepper.  I may end up trying to get seeds from her for those, we are generally still on speaking terms but from what I understand from reading about Physalis is that the seeds aren't ready to cultivate until spring when the paper outside dries and exposes the pod underneath.

I ordered some seeds for Mandragora officinarum (quite expensive seeds), your henbane Hyoscyamus niger and some black nightshade Solanum nigrum.  I won't be growing any of these until next year except I may try to start a mandrake seed.   I have plans on growing them in a "poison garden" with a screened in porch type enclosure around them that I'm drawing up plans to build and have out behind our garage.  I think I'm gonna hold off on the belladonna until I familiarize myself with these other nightshades especially since it's supposed to be such a large plant.

Back