• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Aussies first sauce and it's real good

After a morning at the beach in 38c of heat I've come home and cooked up my first chilli sauce.

Have too say Neil THSC, Stillmanz and quadshotz sauces have all been used in this one.

Ingredients used:

1 mango
1 full lime
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
150ml apple sauce
1-2 tbsp honey wholegrain mustard
1/2 a plain onion
1/2 a tube of wasabi paste 15ml?
1 tsp of cinnamon powder
Black pepper
1/2 tbsp seasalt
5 whole large jalapeno peppers
1 orange hab
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp od minced ginger

Sauce
21dec008.jpg

Lunch
21dec009.jpg

Taste so good I'm a bit shocked lol

Not much heat but what there is lasts for a long time.

This is just a small test run as I've never made a sauce before and I don't have enough ripe peppers yet from my plants.

Tim

The new sauce has worked real well :onfire:

But even after 24 pods it's not a super hot sauce maybe only 6/10. I would have put around 150 grams of dorsets in the mix which made around 1.6ltr's of sauce so it sounds like a lot of pods.

I have already opened a bottle this morning and have been having a tsp every 20mins or so. Seems to have good heat but not intense heat at all. The first spoon made me sweat but after that it's just making my mouth tingle for a good 20-30 mins.

Has a fruity chutney taste going on and I'm thinking my lunch time chicken rolls are going to be good next week :)

Will the sauce get much hotter?
sauce001.jpg

I have some dorsets in the freezer and I'm waiting on my bih jolokia to get it's act together. Next sauce will be a real mix of bih's, dorsets and orange habs.

Another question:

How can you get the most heat out of my peppers?

I have used 20+ Dorsets and my sauce only brings on a small sweat. I just munched on a 1/4 of a good sized fatali and I'm hurtin.

Is it just a case of don't add anything other than peppers or not too much sugar or?

Thanks

i guess it's 20 Dorsets and what else?

Thats a lot of chiles unless otherwise diluted.
Oh, and if unripe chiles, won't be near at hot as ripe.

I'd think a Naga sauce to be RED.

I ended up adding in two dozen dorset naga's so it's hot but maybe not a super hot sauce :) Had a taste of hippy's naga sav sauce on the weekend and my sauce doesn't have anywhere the straight up kick that Neils has but nearly catches up over time.

Next time I'll be cutting down on the number of ingredients and will have more peppers hopefully. And I hope I'll have some bih jolokia's by then :)

Back