• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Austee's 2016 "The Good and The Bad" Grow Log

So I'll start with an explanation of what I have going on at the moment and then catch up on some pics a little bit at a time seeing it takes so long to get them downsized and uploaded.

At the moment I am growing 18 ed bell peppers by the name of "Sprinter" from Johnny's Select Seeds. For Spring/Summer crops I use a drain to waste system with rock wool slabs. The waste water does have a catchment system with pvc I ran underground that drains into a 20gal rubbermaid trash can that I recycle on house plants and potted plants. During the Summer/Fall/Winter crops I use a recycled system with pure perlite. I also only use perlite for all my potted and house plants. The reason for the Drain to Waste during Summer is simply for disease prevention and its very hard to keep a rez cool in Florida. Also, while recycling nutrient waste is becoming more popular in commercial greenhouses I simply don't have the means of control like they do and I would like to keep things as consistent as I possibly can. I have a 32 gal Rubbermaid trash can buried in the ground and it keeps it about 12 degrees cooler during the summer and warmer in the winter. During winter I can get away with recycling the water cause i can keep the rez at a constant 68f and nothing nasty grows and disease pressure is way down. I don't use beneficials in my rez, instead I go a sterile route alternating Dutch Master Zone/ and CL.

Everything is on a drip system with a timer on 1/2 gal/H emitters and once things are in full swing they get watered for 2 min up to 10 times a day. Even more when I'm using perlite. In the past I have used ebb & flow buckets but now I just stick with dippers. For Fertilizers I am lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Southern Ag in Florida. I use 8-16-36 Hydroponic Veg Special (25lbs. for $19) and Calcium Nitrate (50lbs. for $23) and Magnesium Sulfate (50lbs for $15). I have enough ferts for 5 years of constant growing. I also use water strait out of the tap with a starting ppm of 300. As you can obviously tell I don't grow organically unless it comes to sprays which I hate but I do live in Florida and the bugs are BAD BAD BAD... 

I do start all my seeds indoors under Philips Gen2 production led lights with ebb/flow trays. I start all pepper/tom/cuc seeds in 1.5in x 1.5in rock wool individual plugs and then into either 4x4x2.5 or 3x3x2.5 Delta grow blocks. I like this system as it has worked out very well for me. 

Anyway, I just wanted to lay the foundation of what I use and system specs. I'm sure I forgot something but if it's important I'l remember. Now on to the current grow pics. Ill start with the seeds and then on to where I am today. My advanced apologies for the pics of lettuce in there, I start all the seeds in the same system. 

All seeds were started on 2/2/16 and all cracked by the 2/10/16. I had the seeds on a heat mat that was set to keep a constant temp of 85f and got watered with plain tap water 1 time every 2 days until cracked to keep up with evaporation. Once I saw leaves 1g of the fert mix was added per gal. Once first true leaves fully expanded I bumped up to 1 E.C.(500ppm) and after the 2nd true leaves 1.5 E.C. I have kept a constant PH of 5.5 and let it swing up to 5.8. Then the addition of phosphoric acid to lower it back to 5.5. I realize this all sounds pretty anal but I am trying to create a commercial type bell pepper production house on a very small scale so I am attempting to do everything they would do. 

If you read this, Ill be right back. Uploading pics now... Will edit this post.

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Sorry for that taking so long if anyone was waiting for some reason, it took me forever to figure out how to post pictures...

This is essentially a play by play until 3 days ago, I spent most of the day building my high wire system. All the pics are ruffly 3 to 7 days apart if I remember correctly. I'll have the last 2 weeks up tomorrow. This just took a lot longer then I thought it would. If these pics are to big or if I have done something wrong please inform me and I'll try and make them smaller.

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

Thank you Maligator.

Here is about 4 days ago.... This will catch me up to current and I can proceed with my grow journal as normal. Thanks of the interest.

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2708.jpg

This last pic is what I was working on yesterday. Nearly complete. Poles are 4ft in the ground with stakes and anchors in them and stand 8ft tall. 1 3/8 final coated steel for the lines. Basically just a giant clothes hanger. I'll start stringing them up on Saturday once I trim the tree back. I might add a pole in the middle just so i don't need to take a whole row of plants on one line down if it comes to that. I usually end up doing most of the work at like 2am when I'm off work and I'm running out of ideas for the high wire. I just prefer to have option incase something happens.

IMG_2993.jpg

Thanks,
Austin

Some more info I thought of that would be good to write down. I am training the peppers to two growth shoots and won't let flowers open until the third node from the initial spit. They are just about there. I have picked off any flower buds as well as the weaker of the growth shoot of each split to keep two main shoots. I leave both leaves from the shoot I pick. I have been hand watering with a pump for the first 2 weeks since the peppers were put into the slabs. I have been watering  the slabs every 3 days to just a little run off and then let the slab dry to about 40% weight. Takes about 4 gallons to re-saturate with dribbles of run off.  This is to get the roots to go deep into the slab so once they are on the system the plants will be able to keep up with the irrigation schedule and to have enough roots to support large plants in the Florida heat. They have now been in the slabs for 10 days today and I will hook up the drip system on day 14. 

4/1/16

Refilled the rez and watered.
Calculated targets were 

N - 160
P - 40
K - 210
Ca - 160
Mg - 48 (60)?
S - 65 (85)?
Si - 30
Fe - 3

After calculating everything I'm pretty much right on target give or take. Adding in the ferts the only one that seemed a bit hot was the magnesium Sulfate. It was about 30ppm more then what it should have been at 2g/Gal. Everything else was only a few ppm's off. I pre-weigh the salts to make things fast and easy. I have a Calcium Nitrate stock tank and a 5-11-26 plus Magnesium Sulfate Stock Tank for other things I have going on. I just picked up the parts to make the 8-16-36 stock tank but this time I'll keep the Mg S separate.

Reservoir Temp is 74f
Starting PH 8.7
Ending PH 5.6
Starting PPM 302
PPM after PH Down 270
Final Concentration 1.8EC Approx 900ppm

I really need to find a spread sheet for keeping better notes. Most of my notes are scribble on paper.

Here is a visual of today, plus a shot of my daughters garden. Also, some finale shots of some lettuce grown under the philips LED's.

This first one was what the peppers looked like before I set them on the slabs.

IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2756.jpg
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2747.jpg
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2734.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg
IMG_2719.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg

Off to work now, it was so nice to not have to be at work at 6am today. Hope everyone has a great day.

Austin

Finished building the irrigation system today. 1/2in tubing feeding 1/4in spaghetti tubing to 1/2 gal/H drop emitters attached to drip stakes. 540gph pump is more then enough for the 18 drip sites. I attached 1/2in stop valves on the beginning and end of the lines. In the begging to create independent zones that can be watered individually or shut off accordingly. They are also installed at he end of each line so the entire system can be flushed out. It takes 3 min. of the pump running to get 15-20% run off. I will run the system once a day at 9 a.m. for 3 min. for a week to continue to let the roots search the slab. Next Monday I intend on running the pump at 9 a.m. for 3 min. to get the slab fresh and then possibly water every hour or other hour for 1 min. (maybe even every third hour) to keep the slabs at "field capacity." The only thing left is to lay down the catchment pipe and run it to the run off tank.

For the last 3 days the PH has remained very consistent at 5.7. The EC has read 1.8 consistently, and we had a small cool front so the Day time temps have been 75f and lows 59f... The rez temp stays anywhere between 67-70f. 

For today,

PH 5.7
EC 1.8 (PPM 912)
REZ Temp 70f

I was able to finish the high wire system and got all the peppers strung up. Last night I noticed a few aphids and a stray thrip so I made a tank mix of 4Tbs Neem Oil, 4Tbs Spinosad, and a 1Tbs of soap per gallon. At this point I am surprised I haven't had to spray sooner. I will spray once a week alternating what i need to to keep the peppers clean. Where I am at I have had a huge problem with broad mites and thrips and army worms. The spinosad wipes the thrips away as well as the caterpillars and leaf minor. I'll spray Bt as an alternate when the caterpillars get real bad. I was finally able to get rid of the broad mite problem by dunking found and small pants in 120f water for 20min a couple times. The constant neem and horticultural oil seem to have prevented them from coming back. If any one has any other tricks for the broad mites let me know.

Anyway, here are some catch up pics...

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg
IMG_2803.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg
IMG_2813.jpg
IMG_2822.jpg
IMG_2817.jpg
IMG_2819.jpg

Back