• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Average Germination Time for Listed Varities

zilla81f said:
For those that had fast germination times, what kind of soil were you using?  Did you do any other special care (Saran wrap cover, no light, scarification, etc.)?

fox farm ocean forest potting soil in hard plastic dixie cups (3oz) with a large hole cut for drainage in the bottom. Did not presoak seeds or do anything special. Placed the cups in a large tupperware container with lid slightly cracked to mainain heat and humidity. provided heat under the container by putting it on a wire shelf above a space heater - although a stick-on heat mat for reptile tanks also works. It kept a high humidity in the container and the temp was always about 85F.

I think freshness of seeds plays a big part
My yellow Morugas took nearly 2 weeks to sprout while my Carolina reapers and my Choc Bhuts(Both from Pukkerbutt)took 6-7 days.
I use a seed raising mix.

I've tried several things like soaking in nitrates, etc.  What I've found it that the C. chinense usually take longer.  But this year I had some C. annuum that took longer than my C. chinense to germinate.  Of all me peppers - the Scorpions are not that long - about 7 days.  I use a seed starting mix - high in sphagnum, not peat but fresh sphagnum, and put it in my oven with the pilot on for about 5 days. Temps in here are around 90. I cover it with plastic wrap.  Usually in this time some start to germinate and I have to move them under the lights.  Here they get bottom heat and again stay around 85.   I think that varying the temps - I've even put them outside overnight so they go to around 35 - can hasten germination.  No real evidence but at least it doesn't hurt them.  I don't usually have the luxury to do this with some and not others. The other treatments did nothing.  I save seeds and over the years seed germination times varies greatly with the same varieties - with no apparent or at least easy explanation.  Larger bell types and other sweets seem to always be quick, others from quick to very slow.  I think heat is the key.  Another very good way to germinate is in plastic petri dishes in moist (but not drenched) perlite.  Tape them closed, and make a tab by overlapping the tape at the end so you can pull it open.  Label and put these in a warm spot and watch.  These petri dishes are easy to obtain, don't break, and stack - so they take up little space. The germinating plantlets are very easy to find and transplant from perlite too.  It is also resistant to molding. This method has been the fastest for me - to the adult transplantable stage, but it is more work than planting in a flat.

Back