• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Avocados hate me

I cant say for sure about avocados, (I can't remember if mine was put in the fridge or not) but I do know for a fact that that's a lie with peppers..

And my seed took for ever to sprout, first one in 10 years...

Yea it might be a lie I took that off I don't know where on the internet so that's not the most reliable source!

It is a lie. Most of the avocado seeds I've managed to germinate came from the restaurant I worked at, and I'd keep the pita in the walk-in until my shift ended.

Will my avocado tree produce avocados?
“Ungrafted” trees (like those grown inside from seeds) rarely produce fruit. In order to have an avocado tree that produces fruit, one must graft the seedling. Since the process of grafting involves mixing the tissues of the seedling with those of a producing tree, it is often just easier to simply buy a grafted tree from a reputable nursery.

http://www.willsavoc...ow-avocado-tree

This is not true.

Ungrafted trees will produce fruit of unknown quality though, and they may be hard as rocks or taste like crap, so most people choose to buy grafted trees to get a known quality of fruit.

Also Avocados are unique in that most varieties require cross pollination to set fruit. There are two types of trees and each type produces pollen and is pollen receptive at a different time of day.
The avocado exhibits a type of flowering behavior known as "synchronous dichogamy". An individual flower will be open for 2 days, however the timing of the male and female phases are distinct. When the flower first opens it is in the female phase and the stigma is receptive to pollen. At the end of the female phase, which lasts 2 to 4 hours, the flower will close. On the second day the same flower re-opens in the male phase and sheds its pollen. See figures for illustration of the female and male phase flowers.
http://ucavo.ucr.edu...ringBasics.html

I've tried to grow avacado from seed twice in my life. The first time was with the toothpick method, which didn't do anything but grow mold. The second time, I cut about a quarter inch off of the pointier end and placed it cut side up in regular old potting soil. It took about a month, but it sprouted.

Back