• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Baby bells look like Jalapenos?!

I've already harvested 5 ripe red baby bells, and around 7-8 or so are getting to full size, and there are probably 15+ more ones that are starting to grow.  
I started hand pollinating by rubbing my finger on the stigma, every morning I start with my Jalapeno, then go onto my baby bells.  I know its cross pollinating, but I was under the impression that wouldn't matter unless I save the seeds?

But now all my new growth from my baby bell plant looks like Jalapeno peppers in shape... skinny and growing long?!  

My Jalapenos look great, all 90+ of them lol

Goofing around, I bought baby bells at the grocery store.  Gutted them, stuffed them sort of on the half shell, and saved the seeds.  Mixed the different colors, didn't care, just sort of a fun thing to do.  They did come out sweet, but they did not have the bell shape.  At the store this year, I noticed the word 'hybrid' on baby bell seeds.

I wonder if maybe baby bells are kind of like seedless watermelon and other F1 hybrids that are useful,but dont reproduce right.  If so,maybe your seed source was not aware of the thing being F1. 

Well I did get them at walmart, but they were already growing plants, around 12-16" or so.  (now 44", and I started way late!)  

The ones i've harvested so far tasted great!  I was just confused as to why the latest ones are taking on a more oblong shape haha

Towlieee said:
Well I did get them at walmart, but they were already growing plants, around 12-16" or so.  (now 44", and I started way late!)  

The ones i've harvested so far tasted great!  I was just confused as to why the latest ones are taking on a more oblong shape haha

Save the seeds from the peno shaped pods and grow them next year. See if they show heat or peno flavor.
And report back here this time next year.  :P

tumblr_m7ujvlTi7D1r4gei2o8_400.gif

Towlieee said:

Here, Walmart is a fantastic source for plants.  Expensive in my opinion, but usually dead on.  They are grown by a huge green house operation called Bonnie Plants.  I am sure it is a regional thing.  I am also sure no matter how good a grower is, they sometimes make mistakes.

I reread your post.  Are you saying the first wave looked right?  Now that would be odd.  Typically, the first wave of anything is where I get wonky pods.  Have read from some of the folk who overwinter that second and third year plants get better and better shaped pods.  So if the first pods were OK, I wonder if something other than the pollen did it.  No clue.  Either way,willing to bet they taste like a baby bell.

ajdrew said:
Here, Walmart is a fantastic source for plants.  
Yeah they were Bonnie brand, I've done a lot of research and see they sell good plants for big box stores.

This whole grow was just a spur of the moment thing.  The only thing I had grown in my life was watermelons as a kid.  So I bought two varieties of watermelons, and the Jalapeno beginning of june (WAY LATE!) 
Then around the beginning of July I went back to find another plant or two to buy, and ALL the bonnie stuff was gone, I had just browsed 2 days prior and they had everything, but they got rid of it all, only thing left was flowers and baby bells lol, so baby bells it was.

Yeah the first round looked normal, actually it had 5 peppers on it when I bought it, those are the only ones to go full ripe, but then there are about 7-9ish more that look normal that are getting to full size, but now there are about 15+ small ones that look like Jalapenos haha.  I'll get a picture later today, I can't find my phone so I gotta use my girls lol

Back