• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Baby Habanero Peppers Falling Off

Hey my habanero plant has been growing like crazy!

But now that I am not picking buds anymore, the baby peppers that form are falling off shortly after forming. 

It's indoors and I keep the temperature about 75-80F, I have been giving it 6-4-4 fertilizer once a month. The plant looks great and has gotten bushy.
I did recently transplant so could it be shock from the transplant? 

I have a fan on low pointed at it, and some of the leaves have kind of started drying out, so I may just put it on in the morning to increase the probability of self-pollination. Do you think the fan is necessary? If I must have it on, I'm just gonna do it for the early part of the day. I don't want to kill my baby. http://postimg.org/image/kzjt8avi1/

IMG_1218.jpg

The fan is necessary to both assist with self-pollination and also to help keep the surface of the soil dry so no soil fungus starts to grow. Is that curling on the edge of the leaf what you are calling "drying out"? The pods falling off and even the curling leaf edge could happen from transplant shock, though usually it's the whole plant that look rather pathetic from that. But also, what did you transplant it into, and what are you using for fertilizer? How often and how much fertilizer are you using?

I put my fans on cheap timers, alternate 1 hour on and 2 hours off during daylight hours. This works for me.

How close is safe for the fan? Maybe I should just move farther apart. I transplant with foxfarm soil, I'm pretty sure it's not the soil or fert that's the problem. But I agree it could def be transplant shock, and maybe I'll move the fan a bit farther away, it's a small fan on low but it's only 2 feet away so could be the "drying out leaf" problem.

Moved the fan about 6 feet away and put it on high, the leaves are moving but just a little bit, hopefully it's enough to pollinate. I'll try and post a link to a video.

My roommate is learning to play guitar, pardon him :P
http://tinypic.com/r/2jtmvm/8

Chiles are fairly efficient self-pollinators, so it doesn't take much for that to happen. Growing in pots makes it easy - just thump the pot from time to time, or brush your hand through the leaves to get some motion going.

Distance of the fan from the plant.... Think about plants outside - the wind is often stronger than a fan, yet (barring a severe wind storm) most plants make it just fine. So don't sweat it about the fan.

My neighbors always say how funny i look walking around my pepper garden. Several times a day I'm out there. Walking from plant to plant, bending over and shaking every plant. They get a nice view of my 46 year heiney. Well not just 1... Rather 26 x 2-3 x a day. Heck, if i had a nickel for every time !?

Back