• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Bacon Jam

Oh yeah, I said it and I'm going to say it again,

BACON JAM

0AB77951-04CF-4DF5-B441-BC59F9D5090B_zpsk89wwjqs.jpg

Ok here's how to do it:

Yields 1 pint
1 pound smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon hot sauce or to suit tolerence
1 cup coffee
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Black pepper to taste
extra water

In a dutch oven, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Remove to paper towel lined plate and set aside. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease out of the pan. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.

Add the bacon to the onions and garlic, and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water. Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so, and stir regularly.

Jam is done when you cant tell the onions from the bacon. Cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the jam. Refrigerate up to two weeks.

I've been thinking about using some Fataliis, Datils or maybe some MOA Scotch Bonnetts in a batch too.

RM we need to hang out together for a weekend and just get drunk and make stuff. 

Everything you do is so unique and awesome!!! 

Gotta get my bacon jam on soon!!!

I haven't seen Benton's bacon but I'm betting that it will come out so awesome that you'll kick yourself for not making more.

:)
RM

Wow, 4 years since I first started this thread! Ok, Im resurrecting it! Here are the players:

3 Pounds Wright Brand Hickory Smoked Bacon
2 Large Onions
12 cloves Garlic
3 Tbs Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 Cups Real Maple Syrup
3 cups strong coffee
1 oz White Rum
Black pepper to taste

More to follow later, well unless too much Devils Cut comes into play

Heres a pic:

Attachments