• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bacterial leaf spot treatment?

cone9

Extreme Member
I have several plants with what I believe is severe bacterial spot.  Any good treatment or must I pull the plants?
Would removing just the leaves affected so far be of any help?

All these are in the same bed and close to each other.  My other bed, set up a couple feet from this one, is not affected(yet).
The beds contain tomato plants as well.

There has been so darn much rain here so far this year!

The plants are Black Hungarian, Poblano and Sandia.
I really hate lose the plants as I only have a couple of each, but don't want it spread to the others as well and lose them all!

SO MUCH RAIN!  This came on really fast - it's frustrating! 

I'm watching mine pretty closely too. I have one that began showing the little brown spots, so I sprayed the leaves with a 50/50 of water and hydrogen peroxide and it hasn't worsened, thank God! We're not supposed to have sun until next Thursday..

Copper is really only useful as a preventative measure, according to several ag agencies. Calcium is actually an antidote. Pull the affected leaves, keeping in mind that it is a bacteria - try to remove the leaves without touching other leaves. Bag the leaves in a ziploc and seal it before disposal. Ideally wear disposable gloves while you remove them, too, but still wash your hands carefully afterwards. Do use copper to help prevent it from spreading to other plants, but also treat all plants with calcium. 

Geeme thank you for the calcium info, i can't recall ever having read that before. Now to try and dig up the right product(s) and mix ratios.

What Geeme said is true for the most part, but I did notice no new spots after treating with a copper solution every 4-7 days. It's probably best used preventively, but it will help contain infection until a dry week comes along to kill it off.
From what I read calcium defenciency leads to bacterial spot, but calcium doesn't treat it. I have heard spraying with milk will create competing bacteria whilst providing calcium.

I had that problem last year.  We had a lot of rain early in the summer.  I sprayed and they recovered somewhat, but not completely.  This 
year lots of rain, but no leaf spots.  Go figure.

I have tried diluted milk as a foliar. It seems to work but very hard to tell as it is so humid and raining non stop.

Hey Geeme.. Will dry weathet kill off bls?

Beyond what my darling G had to say, you can make a mixture of water and baking soda (I think I used to do 1 tbsp. per gallon) and spray on the affected leaves. This won't "heal" the leaves but it will kill the spores and help prevent the spread of the bacteria.

It's true that excessive water will prevent a plant from uptaking calcium through the roots in particular. But yes, a foliar spray of calcium will help. And yes, a dry spell will help reduce the spreading, but won't kill the bacteria. A mix of water and hydrogen peroxide is also useful for that - spray it on (NOT in full sunlight) and let it dry. I like the baking soda approach, but I also like the hydrogen peroxide approach - pick one or alternate. 

Thanks for all the advice everyone.   I bought some copper fungicide,   I trimmed off nearly all the effected leaves and then sprayed.
The Black Hungarian is nearly naked(the plant in the first pic above).  The past couple days were dry and probably a salvation for my peppers.  

Back