• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bacterial spot

blah.. so i have now developed some bac spot on my peppers.. as far as research goes ive looked at a bunch of posts on this forum regarding this issue and how to diagnose, and what to use to treat.

my questions is this.. keeping in mind that the infection is pretty severe.. should i treat with liquid copper? or H2O2? ive seen both suggested as possible treatments, but i saw zero threads on actual results from these treatments.

I'd try dilute H202 first, as I seem to vaguely recall that too much copper can be toxic... though admittedly I know nothing about using liquid copper.

^ No, it kills the plant if there's too much, IIRC. Don't get me wrong, it can be effective too but the result is worse if you over-do it.

The H202 really helped the initial problem after I removed all the severely infected leaves. Sprayed with this at a rate of 1 cup 3% peroxide to 1 gallon dechlorinated water. Used this along with coco-wet to help it stick and sprayed everything royally - do this at night. Then after a week, I picked up some sulfur and pyrethrin spray and have been using it to control recurrent leaf spot. You can just solely spray sulfure minus the pyrethrin, but I was having hopper and aphid issues.

Copper is generally better than sulfur for bacterial spot. Copper + Mancozeb will be best if all else fails.

As far as how much to spray and when, I'll tell you what my pesticide certification instructors tell me: Always follow the label instructions. The label is the law! Seriously, the ag companies put comprehensive instructions on their labels, you'll just have to figure out how to scale the quantities down to your tank size.

I found a product called Regalia(pdf) that is a biofungicide made from Knotweed. Not sure if you can buy in in small quantities for home gardening though.

How to diagnose plant infections

thanks guys. ive not looked at my plants since i treated them because of 20 hour days at work. knowing i was gonna go crazy at work for a few days i went ahead and treated with the liquid copper. it gave me very specific instructions, and says to treat every 5-7 days with 6 tbsp per gallon.

one mistake i made though is that i have yet to seperate the healthy plants from the sick ones.. so tomorrow that is my plan. i hope i didnt wait too long to move em.. that will suck

one mistake i made though is that i have yet to seperate the healthy plants from the sick ones.. so tomorrow that is my plan. i hope i didnt wait too long to move em.. that will suck

Watching it for a couple of weeks w/o doing something was definitely not for the win in my instance ...

On the positive side though, there are tons of new (albeit deformed) leaves and my plants are actually setting pods again ...

Back