• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bad ballast?

i have a set of T8 lights i'm using to get my plants some light for the winter, but i had a bad experience with it.  is there a fuse in plug in ballasts?  i had a bulb that was not fully seated and as soon as i touched the lamp to power it off the lights went poof, nothing came back on.  i'm gonna take a multi meter to the leads and see if i can get anything out of it to make sure i'm not loosing my mind.  its just a typical T8.  

All the newer ones I've bought don't have the fuses its funny my aquarium ballast has a fuse and was a pain to find a replacement a 2 bulb t8 runs 12 bux at wally world

thanks :)  i just bought the damm lights this year too :/   i'll keep an eye on them, may just be cheaper to buy the whole fixture again, i think it was around 35 bucks.  

Burning Colon said:
i had to replace a 48" dual bulb T8, self contained unit last year. walmart $ 17. every other place started at $49.
i too stripped the unit down looking for the quick fix(fuse) but found nothing.
i have bought this unit twice, looks like it is less expensive in the US. my original lasted 3-4 years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-8045E-Lights-of-America-4-Solid-State-Shop-Light-White/19759624

Have to wonder if there was a bad batch of these with all the Walmart negative reviews (over 50%) at above link.  I've had one of these same fixtures from WallyWorld and this December will be its fourth season.....no problems whatsoever...    Who knows?   :confused:

i still have the origin box(i keep dead fluorescent bulbs in the box for proper disposal). the unit comes with a 2 year warranty of only operating the unit 3hrs per day but at 365 days/yr. i run mine from 6am - 11am, then from 3:30pm - 11pm. warranty dictates the unit is to be sent back to Lights of America in Walnut,CA. cheaper just to purchase a new unit.

i do have another brand unit that has lasted 7 years. CANAM, made in china but paid $20.

good luck on your lighting.

Back