• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Banana pepper problem?

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me identify the problem I'm having with my banana pepper plant. To give some background. I bought this plant at home depot about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted it into my raised garden bed the same day. I have other vegtables in the bed (tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber) that are all doing well. Almost all of the bottom leaves on my banana pepper plant have fallen off. Some of them have small round brown spots on them. Any ideas? I'm at a loss since the other plants seem to be thriving.

Oh, forgot the pictures. Hope the link works. Should be two pictures, one leaf and the plant itself.

http://m1256.photobucket.com/albums/Tracey_Canterbury/Mobile%20Uploads/?src=www?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2X4%2BLVrsydLOMxHvp85%2BdrnP%2B4ynxCawoN%2BW%2BsSd%2B9m2%2By891wEl9n%2F38oQ2seZdZNlRt1GZTlnoeAmrUZb8vx7XXqPrHSE7p0vrJFvaGE38znR2Zf0dVHoyXlY%2Bi1vTqjqe1RtBDKsbzJi6iE4ZFpz0IZ5MHzSGjQ%3D%3D

The leaf picture is sure lookin like bac spot to me.

It will get on one plant.. Then hop onto the rest over a short amount of time. Without treatment it will eventually take everything out.
Bonide makes some good copper fungicides and sulphur sprays. I'd remove every leaf that has those spots on it and start spraying before it spreads.

Depending on how big your garden is, it might be wise to just pull that plant and toss it(into the garbage can, not the compost pile) Better to lose one plant and not the whole garden.

Oh and btw,

:welcome:

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon! My fear was that it has some sort of disease. Which I didn't think I'd be dealing with so soon. I've only experimented with indoor herb gardens, piece of cake right?!?
This is my first year growing veggies. This is actually my first time growing anything outside. The bed is a month old and I bought good garden soil. I'm wondering if the plant had an existing/dormant bacterial problem from the store. Or if this particular vegtable is more susceptible to diseases. All plants seems to have their own book of problems. It's like diagnosing, treating and preventing problems with people, and everyone, like every plant is unique. Very overwhelming! Lol

No worries Tracey. In my experience bac spot likes to show up during the early months of gardening when plants are young and more prone to problems. Your probably right on, 99% of the time the disease is coming from the store or the nursery in which they bought the plants from. I brought home 20 tomato plants that looked perfect early on this season, 2 days later they were covered in bac spot(to the point were it was gross to look at) and had infected every last one of my 250 pepper plants.. Needless to say I can spot bac spot a mile away, and I'll be starting my own tomato plants next year lol.

Good luck with the rest of the year. Stick around! great people, great forum :)

Brandon

Back