• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Banana Tree

Meet my new addition. Barry Bananelow. He is the banana tree I got for my birthday.

10934952305_39dfd6255a_c.jpg

Anyone have experience growing these? I know they are heavy feeders but are there any tips to general care while they are inside for the winter?

Barry Bananalowe ain't very low...
I agree with Meincoh... Get the Sawz-all out and get ta cutting out the ceiling.
Toss some lights on it it and forgo the Christmas tree!

I've never brought one inside.. I have two that are in the ground and every year I cut them back to a stump and cover it in mulch. The next year it comes back even bigger than the before!

I love growing bananas.  they grow so fast its crazy.  I have 4 different kinds of banana.  the musa basjoo is the most cold hardy and is root hardy to about 20 below zero if mulched well.  the "ice cream" banana is said to be the best tasting banana with creamy white flesh and a hint of vanilla and is hardy to zone 8.  the pink velvet banana is an ornamental banana that is smaller, usually getting around 5 feet tall and doesnt mind containers.  its actually one of only a few bananas that will flower and fruit easily in a container.  it has one of the most striking and interesting flowers which turn into hot pink bananas.  I was thinking about putting an ad up for bananas and banana seeds so I may do that here soon.  I would have pink banana seeds and plants to sell along with ice cream and basjoo plants. 

pier_man0909 said:
I love growing bananas.  they grow so fast its crazy.  I have 4 different kinds of banana.  the musa basjoo is the most cold hardy and is root hardy to about 20 below zero if mulched well.  the "ice cream" banana is said to be the best tasting banana with creamy white flesh and a hint of vanilla and is hardy to zone 8.  the pink velvet banana is an ornamental banana that is smaller, usually getting around 5 feet tall and doesnt mind containers.  its actually one of only a few bananas that will flower and fruit easily in a container.  it has one of the most striking and interesting flowers which turn into hot pink bananas.  I was thinking about putting an ad up for bananas and banana seeds so I may do that here soon.  I would have pink banana seeds and plants to sell along with ice cream and basjoo plants. 
We've got a bananaologist here!!!! :-)

im no where near a bananaologist, haha.  still have plenty to learn.  I believe all bananas are self fertile.  the most commercially sold group is the cavendish and I think the "gran nain" is the chiquita you buy at the store.  while some people will prefer the chiquita, most will probably have some other kind of banana as a favorite.  the cavendish are mainly really good commercial varieties producing more fruit and might travel better than others.

pier_man0909 said:
im no where near a bananaologist, haha.  still have plenty to learn.  I believe all bananas are self fertile.  the most commercially sold group is the cavendish and I think the "gran nain" is the chiquita you buy at the store.  while some people will prefer the chiquita, most will probably have some other kind of banana as a favorite.  the cavendish are mainly really good commercial varieties producing more fruit and might travel better than others.
Thanks for all the input! I'm really just starting to learn about them but think they are really cool. I like the sound of the pink and ice cream varieties. I think the one I have is a basjoo since it is supposedly very cold hardy.

For posting pics it helps to have a Flickr or tumblr account and then you can insert the links from there into in your post.

Back