• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Baobabs

My first one of the new season is up as of today. Was still in the ground last night, so I'm quite happy. :woohoo:
DSC_9713.jpg

There are another 12 or so seeds in that pot still. Once they're a bit bigger I'll begin the process of moving them into the bonsai pots.

Nice, which Baobab is it? I have both the african and Madagascarensis up and growing now. My African are about a month or so older from back in end of Aug. sowing and they already have pronounced trunk swelling which everything I have read said they should not have for some time until much older. I have seen pics of seedlings/saplings over a yr old that seem to have little or no bulging in the lower trunk yet. Might be as they get taller the rest of the trunk will catch up and the real swelling of the trunk will be later.

Cool I seen you were in south Africa but did not want to assume it meant the African species.
Here are some pics of how mine are doing. The first pics have 2 madagascarensis on the left side and 1 african on the right side.
009.jpg

these are 2 african ones about 3 months from planting the seed.
006.jpg

Those are looking really good.

At the moment, I'm pretty much trying to get my hands on as many different types of seeds as I can, both chilli and other.

I really hope more of the seeds come up in the next month or so.

So yesterday, I took a pic of the progress. Been raining here non-stop the last few days. :beer:
DSC_9772.jpg

Then today I came home to this... :eek:
DSC_9778.jpg

Dogs got into the garden again, and destroyed EVERYTHING... So now I have nothing, and have to start all over again with the entire season, for a 6th time. :(

That baobab is fine from the pic it just lost its seed leaves. you can still see it has a growing point. I bet it is not the first to have such happen in the wild by a hungry critter and still grow past it.

Here are some update pics of my Baobabs
016.jpg

017.jpg

and one that looks like it may be variegated. the variegated seedling behind it is a coral tree.
015.jpg

014.jpg

That sucks you can not keep the pots up out of reach of the dogs?

Here is an update of mine. The tallest of my oldest seedlings is now starting to make mature leaves with multiple leaflets. Both have trunks swelling for sure so they should be real nice by next summer. The one that looked variegated is so hope it lives.
0052.jpg

0042-1.jpg

Also the Madagascarensis seedlings are forming multi leaflet leaves right off.

So, I'd pretty much given up on the baobabs I started this season....

Until about an hour ago I found this little guy coming up in the old pot!
DSC_9851.jpg

I redid the soil in there the other day to get ready for some new seeds I have coming, so I'm quite happy now. :D

Just a thought but maybe cover this pot with a heavy gauge wire dome to protect it and any others that may still come up. Even a bird other wise could swoop down and cause another loss/setback. Once it is up and several true leaves grown 8 to 10 inches it will be more durable.

Back