• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Barrel Aged Hot Sauce

Just to start off i'd like to say how awesome this forum is, i've gathered some really great information and im very impressed at how knowledgable and helpful everyone is! Hopefully in time to come I can do my bit and impart a little wisdom of my own!

The reason I have started this thread is to tell you a little bit about my first hot sauce, and hopefully gather a little advice on the way!

Ok, so the hot sauce has begun it's fermentation, I currently have Cayanne peppers and Scotch Bonnets working away in my hot room, they are batched into seperate jars so I can mix them later and get the flavour im looking for. I added brine made with pure sea salt and beautiful scottish water, which I distilled, and some whey gathered from unflavoured greek yoghurt to (hopefully) get things moving along.

We are only a couple of weeks in so on the fermentation front there's not much else to report. Its kind of bubbly and theres the occasional hissing noise coming from the seal of the jar which im assuming is ok?

The plan is to ferment for 90 days, although I do have scope to go longer as I have a couple of other non hot sauce related projects to keep me ticking along. (Thoughts?) Then id like to turn it into a smooth hot sauce (Advice here is very welcome, I have white vinegar is this ok? Ratios? to cook or not to cook? PH level required to make it 'shelf safe'?) which im going to barrel age in american oak barrels, which used to contain a multitude of caribbean rums for 6 months, or whenever I feel it has peaked.

I have a few photos to post but I'm either being a massive douche, not out of the question, or the forum/thread wont let me?

Id love to hear your thoughts, ill be keeping anyone who is interested up to date with whats going on and I have exact measurements for everything to hand if thats worth posting?

Kind Regards,

Simon

Back